Dear Santa...

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Dear Santa...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Whoops, thanks Roy, yes.,2022. Maybe I just missed '21 :(
:D :D I think we all did, GJ, and 2020 too- in a specific sense. :/ I've not seen my kids and grandchildren since Christmas 2019/2020. :problem:
Do post pics of your Hornby when it turns up, There's a series on the Box about Hornby currently: 'Hornby: A Model World'- showing on the Yesterday Channel, and UKTV's streaming service, I believe. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

The series on Yesterday ends this coming Monday but can be streamed if you missed it. Pity you are not closer to Margate as it's a great day out.

Mine is from Hornby direct Dude, due today. There's so much stupidity out there over treading on toes that l only preorder from Hornby as Hornby have blacklisted so many dealers who produce their own brands. Whatever happened to healthy competition?

And whatever happened to HengLong? Hard to find, hard to afford. Makes the Centurion look reasonable ;)

Looking forward to a big family bash this year. With masks. Without turkey (bird flu) but with my kids and toys :)

What will you all be doing?
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
General Jumbo01

My HushHush has just been delivered. Outer brown card packaging was two layers thick, one box within another. Inside was the loco sat snuggly in the usual clear plastic inner holder which was sat inside a card box structure within an outer card sleeve. So far as protective packaging it couldn't be better.

Once unpacked was able to see what was rattling within all the protective shield. The screw that couples the tender to the loco via a draw bar was not secured because the small plastic is plate into which the screw hole is molded had split away from the tender frame, presumably due to a significant movement of the heavy loco in its packaging. It could be glued back in place but the self tapper might fracture the glued repair and the tiny glued repair would take the full strain of pulling the 8 or so carriages in normal use. Looks as though it'll need a new tender molding.

In addition, both side front footplate steps had pated company. Both can be glued back in place but they will remain very fragile. I'll speak to Hornby on Monday, just hope they carry spare tender tops.

Generally, disappointed in the grey paint finish, satin rather than flat would have been better and printed name plate would have been better as a brass etch that the user could fit if they wanted to - Hornby state the real name plates were manufactured but never fitted! It all looks very detailed but somehow a little toy like. £219 DCC and sound ready but not fitted. Cheaper than a HL T-72!! Thanks Santa :wave:
General Jumbo01

And just for Roy, though not good ones, photos (with a P2 for the Dude)

Called Hornby. No stock, no spares, raised case number and requested l return it for repairs. No chance me seeing it again for a while! Took me a couple of hours to do it myself but the design around the broken parts was so amateur. Over hyped, over priced. P2 was so much better and half the price. Back to Santa - sorry!ImageImageImage

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Dear Santa, can i have longer 30hr work days please?
If that is not possible can you give me a large pay out at work so i can leave work and go work for myself full-time & create more cool models
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Post by bikerdude »

Shame you're not happy with your W1. I'd read a lot of people's locos arriving damaged, but thankfully mine arrived today all intact. With the amount of packaging I can't really see how a courier could manage to snap the smoke deflectors. It came in the plastic wrap round casing, inside a plastic sleeve, inside a cardboard box, inside a cardboard sleeve, inside a plastic bag inside another box, which was then inside a double corrugated cardboard box!

First impressions, I really like it, though I do see what you mean about it looking toylike with the paint finish, especially in photos using the flash. Will see how well it runs when I get more time tomorrow.

General Jumbo01

Looking good. It was the two front footplate steps that had broken off and the casting around the tender draw bar. Yes, the packaging was great but l suspect its the skills and care of the assemblers that varies. I've fixed it all now, added detail, ordered sound decoders and scale couplings. Given Hornby include etched name plates, why did they use printed ones too?

Having watched all the TV series on Yesterday, l think the company has a culture problem. Get stuff designed, signed off and in the shops asap, never mind testing and quality control, just get it to market before the competition. Up the profit by overcharging. No wonder they are making a loss again.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

It looks pretty smart in 'Dude's pics, GJ. It's also a design I'm not familiar with, but obviously came from the time when we were still World leaders in loco design.

As an aside, my Irish G-Grandfather (my Dad's catholic side of the family) worked as a tunnel bricklayer for the NER (the forerunner of the LNER).
He was killed in the Bramhope tunnel in 1891. There's also a monument there to 25 other navvies (nearly all Irish, I'd guess) who lost their lives working on the tunnel.
I wonder if it would be too late to claim compensation o- :think: After all, his widow and children certainly never got any.- : :/ that I know of, or maybe just enough for a consolatory dark ale, and consequent brush-off.
Dear Santa- how about some compo!
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01

The W1 or HushHush was a sort of last fling by Gresley. He wanted something to succeed the all conquering A1/3 and A4 designs.

With Thomson up and coming, did he rush it? The W1 was terribly unreliable, rebuilt a couple of times and ended up as a streamliner, a class of one. It was, though, a one of a kind and just looks good. It was huge, bigger than the P2 but lost a couple of feet when the A4 like nose was fitted.

My love of the railways? Odd really as l grew up on Southern Region electric 3rd rail multiple units - as dull as it gets!

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Last edited by General Jumbo01 on Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General Jumbo01

Return to “General Discussion”