British Armour entering Hamburg...April/May 1945

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
43rdRecceReg
Major

British Armour entering Hamburg...April/May 1945

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

phpBB [video]

I thought I'd post this short video as it contains clips that might be useful in future builds. It's a pity that some shots are out of focus, but most of the film is clear. You can see Cromwells (7th Armoured Division- 'The Desert Rats), Shermans, 'Kangaroo' or 'Ram' Shermans (M4s converted to carry troops) passing through; and General (or 'Bren') Carriers zipping by- much to the amusement of one onlooker. The camera lingers on the 'FW Woolworth' store at one point. A sign familiar to all Brits, until the 'Wonder of Woolies', ironically, became the demise of that long-standing chain in Britain.
As a once regular visitor, I recognise some of the locations. Do give it a peek :thumbup:
The spectators seen at the end of the clip look delighted at the arrival of the Brits, it has to be said. :)

Here's more on the actual capture of Hamburg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_of_Hamburg
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: British Armour entering Hamburg...April/May 1945

Post by EAO »

43rdRR,

Thanks for posting that! Love the use of the bumbershoots! Since you're not getting shot at any more, might as well be practical and attempt to stay dry! That is also one very cool and fancy bridge over the Elbe! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: British Armour entering Hamburg...April/May 1945

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks, Eric!
The parents of a good friend of mine, (a former Hamburg copper), once owned garden plot on the Elbe- complete with a model lighthouse. It was on a long-stay Campingplazt not far from Hamburg. :)
Here it is, in fact:
Model Lighthouse on the Elbe-Lüneburger Heide
Model Lighthouse on the Elbe-Lüneburger Heide
Happy days... :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “General Discussion”