Is there a weatherers anonymous?

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Is there a weatherers anonymous?

Post by stu_the_flat »

I'm asking for a friend. I could stop any time I like... I say while having a tank that looks like it's been at the bottom of a river for 50 years! :)

Seriously thought these weathering pencils are so much fun.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Is there a weatherers anonymous?

Post by Estnische »

Pencils are not something I have tried - stick up some photos so we can learn what you are doing with them.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Many aspects of tank building can get a tad immersive, and spawn a few late nights. Weathering is one that grabs many builders/enhancers. I use these, Stu (above):
They come with something that looks like a make-up brush (and no, I don't wear makeup, just a touch of polyfilla for the cracks :lolno: ). Well, it's a combi brush and dabber/smearer to be accurate. You can get some sensational effects with them.
I know... 'cos I've seen folk do it. :haha:
For my part, I'm still learning how to get the best out of them. :/ :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

Here is what I've done. As I say I've got a bit carried away. but one thing I really like about these water pencils is if you make a gaff I can just get a damp cloth and most of it will lift off.

I was not aware of the Tamyia ones... this is an endless rabbit hole! :P
Attachments
IMG_20211105_104024-2.jpg
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Most of the (light) weathering effects on my Tamiya Jagdpanther were applied with Tamiya Weathering Masters; mainly set C (Rust/Gunmetal/Silver) and ) and set D (Burnt blue/burnt red/oil stain).
I was fairly pleased with the exhaust system:

It's a fairly big rabbit hole, Stu, as a lot of folk are trying to get down it at the same time. Deep too... :shifty:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

that looks really nice and understated. did you do the drops of oil on the rock under it as well? :P
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

stu_the_flat wrote:that looks really nice and understated. did you do the drops of oil on the rock under it as well? :P
:haha: och no, it's just a tad incontinent- and does mossy jobbies. ;)
Personally, I think tanks should have understated, natural (wear and tear)- looking weathering. Some go to the extreme of bending, perforating, and over-corroding their steeds- or even making them look as if they've just been dragged out of a swamp, or a breaker's yard. In reality, all tanks were once new, and often had a short combat 'life expectancy'- in other words, they never had the opportunity to degrade into rust buckets. What's more, maintenance units would possibly have had a visit from the firing squad, or punishment battalion, if their charges had gotten into the state some folk depict them in (often with great artistry, I must say) :)
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

43rdRR,

There's that JP of yours again! Such a sexy beast!

As for the pencils, never knew they existed! But that's not too surprising when it's coming from me! :{ :/ :lolno:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!

Return to “General Discussion”