M3 moulds

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

M3 moulds

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I am considering buying some m3 lee/grant resin moulds, the one that haya used on theirs.

But before I do is there a market for the m3 lee/grant kit
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: M3 moulds

Post by Kaczor »

I wonder about Haya's accuracy. Vandra model is infamously misshapen with too small turret etc.

If there was a set with the correct dimensions and proportions, and with proper early bogies, it would be a hit.
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I will be designing some bogies to accompany it but it would add to the kit price. I am awaiting clearance to sell as kits from haya as they are their designs so once I get that and establish the market interest I will be looking at running the first kits next spring
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

After a conversation with Andy I have permission to market and sell kits from the moulds.

So a deposit has been paid and work will soon start on suspension design

All that remains is to find out what interest is out there for the kits
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

You just need to put a picture of the Haya Lee model next to a picture of the 1/35 Takom model to see how they compare.
Capture 55
Capture 55
Capture55.JPG (41.09 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
As for the popularity of the M3 Lee. If the June 2021 Tank of the month contest is of any indication, i did present what i thought was a pretty good rendition of the M3 Lee after a major kitbash of the Vandra kit, with new turret, commander's cupola, modified hull, early suspension and T41 tracks. It almost came in last position.
capture 56
capture 56
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

lmcq11 yout M3 is fantastic and you had my vote ;)
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Hi Sgt. Brute: I like the chunky-clunky look of the M3. It reminds me of the phrase (from where ??? ), "a cranky ol' Yank in his clanky ol' tank"). I have three of Andrew Haya's M3 conversions, two Grants and one Lee.

*The missing top turret on the Lee is a disappointment and Imcq11's M3 rectifies the problem (as well as makin' a great model)! If you make the Lee available, I wonder if there would be a way for someone wanting to build the model to get a 3D printed upper turret.
*Of course, Kaczor is right about the need for "proper early bogies" (there were some late ones and Aussie ones with the later, Sherman type offset return roller), and Imcq11's model fixes that, too, double-bubble evidence of his work). Again, a readily-available 3D kit would help and could be applied to some early Shermans.
*Another problem with the conversion seems to be the main gun elevation: there just isn't enough room for it, so it lifts the upper hull a tad.

I do not mean to criticize Andrew Haya at all. His folks did more with the M3 than I have managed (so far). And remember, I bought one and came back for two more. :crazy:
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I can certainly have a look at getting a 3D printed gun on top of the turret and perhaps a custom made elevation system likely servo based. The bogies I am undecided on a conversion for the hl or a full set up. A conversion would likely offer more durability than a print but I’m sure there will be one or the other. Keep the feed back coming. My goal is accuracy, though I won’t be able to alter the moulds better 3D parts can be made to replace them where possible
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

It would definitely need a new main turret of the right size and shape, and with a commander’s cupola. However, the turret ring and maybe the whole upper deck plate will need fixing or replacement to integrate them.

After doing four suspension conversions for my M7, Ram II and two M3, I recommend creating new M3 core bogies but with the use of HL suspension arms, metal pins and springs. It’s very difficult to achieve the proper height with Sherman conversion plugs, Sherman core bogies are too high. Spoked road wheels and idlers are also required for accuracy. They would certainly sell as separate items like the ones on Shapeways.
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I already have wheels ready idlers I’m concerned about strength

Return to “General Discussion”