Lee-Enfield No4 Mk1 no1 sniper rifle vs Mauser K98 BYF...

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Lee-Enfield No4 Mk1 no1 sniper rifle vs Mauser K98 BYF...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

This is a very entertaining shootout, in an unusual format, from an articulate and enthusiastic marksman. :thumbup: It's also very well filmed. You can enjoy following the parabolas the rounds follow, on the way to the target. :D You don't have to be a gun-nut to enjoy this. It's also eye-opening, useful, background info for anyone interested in WW2 snipers- and on how deadly they could be.
Having had a go with my boy's No 4 Mk 1 Lee--Enfield (with iron sights- minus the 'scope), I found it to be pretty accurate. :thumbup:
phpBB [video]

I'd say it's worth 28mins of your time :wave:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Lee-Enfield No4 Mk1 no1 sniper rifle vs Mauser K98 BYF..

Post by jarndice »

The Mk 4 was replaced by the SLR but it's pressed mild steel breech block cover precluded the fitting of a sniperscope so until a proper replacement could be found the Mk4 was still to be found in armouries long after their official withdrawal.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Timbo68
Private

Post by Timbo68 »

The Mk4 was/is an excellent target rifle. I used them a great deal in the 1960s in my teens at Bisley and elsewhere. I’m always amused by the pundits who discuss and display their prowess at accuracy while using rests and telescopic sights, when all we had was a sling wrapped around the arm (with elbow pads) and iron sights. The backsights were a bit better than standard - Parker-Hale bridge sights with 4 clicks per minute adjustment. 2 sighters, and 7 rounds to count, with at least 5 bullseyes and 2 inners at 500 yards required for any kind of success in competition. I don’t think my eyes would be up to it now, though… B|
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

A proper set of iron sights should be the norm for any military infantry rifle but if your target is a mile away then a scope is the only option along with a spotter with a decent set of field glasses.
A decent infantry rifle is a non existent sight in any armoury today, now it is assault rifles that shortsightedly try to be both a rifle and a submachine gun and of course it falls short on both counts.
But the bean counters like them because they use one type of ammunition instead of two.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Lenny Warren
Private

Post by Lenny Warren »

Sigh, miss my Enfield. I was a target shooter through my youth... well, actually from my teens until my 40's.

Mainly .22LR for short range, Martini Henry based, then onto an Anschutz Supermatch 54 which I had for years and years.. lovely rifle.

For long range, I had a LE No. 4Mk2 converted to 7.62mm NATO by Fultons of Bisley. I shot it upto 600 yards locally, but had to travel to shoot 1200 yards. Guys in the club always prefered Mauser actions upto 600 yards and Enfields upto 1200.

Happy days... :)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Lee-Enfield Mk IV- muzzle blast
Lee-Enfield Mk IV- muzzle blast
If you click on the pic, Lenny, it will ENLARGE it. This is me blasting away with my son's Lee-Enfield, in Switzerland. (He has enough weaponry to equip a platoon, but the Swiss are relatively laid back about gun ownership, and for good reason: everybody owns one, pretty much, but fatal shootings are as rare as rocking-horse s**te. :think: ). Up here in the Highlands, I have to pay the Police £70 for a licence for my Walther air rifle (and it's the required sub- 12ft lb type... :/ ).

For nostalgia's sake, here are the instructions for firing the MK 3:
This weapon's still in remarkably good condition (1943 vintage). I wish I could say the same for me (I'm 71 :| :D ). They were very well made, and not outsourced to China. :haha:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I meant to include this pic. Whilst using a taut strap for support when in a standing position, or kneeling, I'd always look for a convenient tree or post to lean against if possible- if used (legally) away from the range.
Hitting something at 300 mtrs when standing certainly takes a steady stance. :D
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I'm a keen follower of the genial Hickok's gun-trials, and his infectious enthusiasm for weaponry. Along with the Forgotten Weapons (Ian McCollum) channel, this is one of my favourites.
Here's Hickok with a No. IV Lee-Enfield, displaying a certain reverence for this legendary WW2 weapon (justifiably, in my opinion). :thumbup: :wave:
phpBB [video]
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DymondTank
Lance Corporal

Post by DymondTank »

The blunder bust
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

My Enfield with an aftermarket scope mount.
Plenty fun, but .303 is getting pricey nowadays and my reloaded brass is getting worn out...

Return to “General Discussion”