Dimensions Panther driver/radio-operator hatches

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
panzerrob
Recruit

Dimensions Panther driver/radio-operator hatches

Post by panzerrob »

Hi allboys and girls,

I'm looking for the dimensions of the driver/radio-operator hatches from the Tamiya and Henglong Panthers (and all other manufacturers)
I am after the length and width of the hatches.
As you can see in the photo's I installed hatch opening assistence things. I can't find the German od English word for it.
More photo's will follow soon!

I also like to know if there is interest in buying these thingees which can easily fitted from the outside.

With regards,
Rob from Holland
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Dimensions Panther driver/radio-operator hatches

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The hatches on the Tamiya 1/16 panther are integrated with the upper hull. In other words, they can't be opened. :( Except with a micro-saw, that is. :D Rough sizes are: 13mm wide, by approx. 18-19 mm long. I say approximately, because the embossed (moulded in) hinge gets in the way.
At a guess, those fittings would be called 'spring-assisted pivoting arms' in English. Possibly, the type you have there might be called a 'spring- assisted cantilever arm'. :thumbup:
Here's a video of a technician fixing a REAL Panther hatch.
Perhaps the method of opening varies with tank versions (Ausfuhrungen). Could be, just as it did with the Commander's cupola hatch on the Tiger 1. (Early model: hinges. Middle and Late versions: swivel/pivot arm)
phpBB [video]
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “General Discussion”