making silicone moulds

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
jee
Staff Sergeant

making silicone moulds

Post by jee »

Well, I was looking how you can make silicon moulds to make metal tracks yourself.

I found video's on youtube how you can make your own mini metal foundry (seems not too difficult)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHD10DjxM1g&t=309s

And then was looking how you can make silicon moulds.
https://www.youtube.com/c/StaplesandVine/videos

Well, besides I like his voice, he explains everything very well and when I looked further on his youtube channel I was quit surprised actually that he makes a lot of tankmodels.

Didnt had time yet to watch everything, but I will.

As he sounds British to me, does anybody know him (I guess yes, small world after all)
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: making silicone moulds

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

He's American, In fact.
He's certainly articulate. Happily, he also avoids the use of irritating 'uptalk' (rising intonation) which is spreading like a plague around the globe. :)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

He mentions "white metal". You wouldn't want to make functional tracks from white metal as they won't last very long in R/C use. Casting tracks from other more durable metals suitable for R/C cannot be done in silicone molds as the molds will melt under the heat. Aluminum melts at like 1200-1600 degrees and it can be made into tracks, but is still not the best material for tracks because it is still pretty soft. I think most of the tracks suitable for R/C that contain aluminum are alloys to increase their wear characteristics.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

43rdRecceReg wrote:He's American, In fact.
He's certainly articulate. Happily, he also avoids the use of irritating 'uptalk' (rising intonation) which is spreading like a plague around the globe. :)
nice to know, he doesnt sound like an American for me :D

but I like his voice, relaxing and clear.
Regards,
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

tankme wrote:He mentions "white metal". You wouldn't want to make functional tracks from white metal as they won't last very long in R/C use. Casting tracks from other more durable metals suitable for R/C cannot be done in silicone molds as the molds will melt under the heat. Aluminum melts at like 1200-1600 degrees and it can be made into tracks, but is still not the best material for tracks because it is still pretty soft. I think most of the tracks suitable for R/C that contain aluminum are alloys to increase their wear characteristics.

To be honest, I have no idea about which kind of metal you should use, or for example what Heng long or Tamiya is using to make their metal tracks.
In any case I am not a "heavy" user of the tanks so they will not break that fast with me.
I am just interested in the process and maybe to do it once myself for the fun of it.
Regards,

Return to “General Discussion”