HD colour footage from D-Day to Berlin

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
43rdRecceReg
Major

HD colour footage from D-Day to Berlin

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

This footage shot by Jack Lieb, a WW2 US cameraman, is certainly worth 45 mins of your time. Jack also provided an informative, and engaging, commentary to the edits back in 1976. I don't think I've seen many of these scenes before, especially the footage of the damage to Cherbourg, and details of landing craft, temporary airfields etc.
The film provides a fresh, and personal, insight into the allied progress to victory...1944-45.
phpBB [video]

If you've seen it before, well, perhaps watch it again. :D
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: HD colour footage from D-Day to berlin

Post by EAO »

Hello 43rdRR,

Seems you've been a bit busy lately? Seems most of us have! I'll definitely give a go as it looks quite interesting. Thanks for posting it!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Oh, this will be most interesting! Thank you. Now I have to figure out how I can get 45 minutes of internet connection in my "black hole" area of the U.S. Thanks for posting this.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Thank you Roy! A rare and worthwhile find. Having been to London in 2019, its great to compare the sights 80 years later. Loved seeing the Coldstream Guards in wartime uniform.

Welcome back.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Estnische wrote:Thank you Roy! A rare and worthwhile find. Having been to London in 2019, its great to compare the sights 80 years later. Loved seeing the Coldstream Guards in wartime uniform.

Welcome back.
Thanks, Brett.
Things looked a lot like that when I was a kid; the bits that were filmed in Britain, that is. :/
So, this was not only a guided time-machine to the past; but also a wee wellspring of nostalgia (shop fronts, cars) ...for me, anyway- in spite of the catastrophe that the War was.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: HD colour footage from D-Day to Berlin

Post by Jimster »

Thanks for posting that, friend. I’ll be sure to watch this.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:thumbup:
Jimster wrote:Thanks for posting that, friend. I’ll be sure to watch this.
..and a slow, thoughtful, Glenlivet will go very well with the footage, Jim. :D
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Let’s just say I made due with what I had on hand :D
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

There's so much to enjoy in this personal account of invasion to surrender. I think everyone should watch it. :thumbup: The humility, and perceptiveness, of the narrator (and creator) of the film alone, make it worth watching. The events themselves, though, seen from an atypical perspective, (IMO) make it essential viewing for someone needing an authentic glimpse of our destructive past.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

...and here's footage of what life looked like for the hapless Berliners, shortly after the surrender. If you don't want your hometown to look like this, DO try to avoid a major war in Zukunft. :| Love and peace.
phpBB [video]

Return to “General Discussion”