My next tank?

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
NAB
Corporal

My next tank?

Post by NAB »

I have a birthday coming up soon and it's been suggested that I can get another tank (yay)

What should I get?
I've been considering the latest HL Tiger 1 but not sure about how accurate it is? I can do a certain amount of modification.
What about a HL Sherman? I would prefer the firefly but I'm sure they don't do one but again I can modify.
I've seen a IS-2 around but can't remember the brand.
The budget isn't there for a Tamiya kit or the Torro kits that come in wooden boxes so it will probably be a Heng long which I'm perfectly happy with.

Or I've seen this bad boy on Wish, maybe should just go for that? Seems legit to me....Image

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: My next tank?

Post by tankme »

The IS-2 is a nice tank, but doesn't come as a Heng Long. They are either IR *or* airsoft in the Torro/Taigen brand at around $550+ with no wooden box. Also available as a Tamiya, but probably closer to twice the cost of the Torro/Taigen.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

They had me at "Navy Blue"...
Honestly? Get the Heng Long Sherman and go the Firefly way... wanna know how? See my thread in the Heng Long builds. It's not that hard...

*Edit; Why are my pants on fire?
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....
NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

Is it worth getting a 27mhz Heng Long Tiger 1 or is it better just to get a new Heng Long 2.4ghz.
The 27mhz one is £55

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The old Tiger 1 used a more frangible plastic than the later ABS so even after you have spent twice the price of the Tiger 1 to bring the electrics upto date you still have an old Tank that will continue to be trouble for as long as you keep it.
A new Heng Long Tiger 1 Version 6.0 is pretty much a gift if you shop around and it will be a lot more reliable than your £55 clunker,
It will still come with a redundant and inaccurate spare aerial holder and a Turret that should be relocated but every Heng Long and Taigen and Torro Tiger 1 comes with the same failings and always have done.
If you don't mind paying £800 then Tamiyas Tiger 1 kit is perfect (And boring) except some people will tell you that Heng Longs Version 6.0 control board is better than Tamiyas dated electrics.
Of course if you want to convert an M4 into a Firefly there are a lot of upgrades available But working on a Sherman after working on a Tiger 1 will quickly tell you why nearly everyone builds Tigers because the Sherman is like fitting the contents of a 4 bedroom house into a 1 bedroom flat.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

Ok thanks for the info.

Looks like it's either a new tiger or a Sherman.

I could leave the Sherman as is and instead invest in accessories/figures for it.

NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

I do like the M26 Pershing.... Don't see many people modifying them?

tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Tamiya M26 Pershing is a good tank. Others have reported the Heng Long Pershing is good also. The Pershing in on my list of tanks I want to build one day. It's just not as popular as the Sherman or the German tanks. As far as I know, no big issues with the Pershings and lots of upgrades for the HL version.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Karl_Diesel
Lance Corporal

Post by Karl_Diesel »

Hello,

the Tamiya Pershing is an almost perfect kit.

Conversions ? The Super Pershing is nice and if you want more work, you can make an M47 out of the kit.
regards
the Karl

active vehicles :
- Magach 6B
- BTR-80
- M1A2 SEP V2
- Tiran 5
- SPz Marder
- M113 Zelda
- Dozer D9R

under construction :
- Type 74