New British RC Tank from Tamiya

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Re: New British RC Tank from Tamiya

Post by jhamm »

Shagnifico wrote:So they chose to make fabric mantlet cover out of molded rigid plastic? I feel like 15 years ago tamiya would’ve done it right.
The cover of the Tamiya Leopard 1A4 over the mantle was made of elastic material.
If you find a Leopard 1A4 today that still has this cover, it's like the blue Mauritius.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ah...so, did you once collect stamps in the past, Jürgen? :)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Ah...so, did you once collect stamps in the past, Jürgen? :)
Yes indeed,
to show to girlfriends... :haha:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The excuses teenagers will use to get a girl into your bedroom :haha:
Once upon a time it was come up and see my etchings then it was come and see my stamp collection now it is would you like to play with my gameboy :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

jarndice wrote:The excuses teenagers will use to get a girl into your bedroom :haha:
Never ever
we are honourable men!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

You speak for yourself :haha: :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Shagnifico
Lance Corporal

Post by Shagnifico »

Regarding tamiya electronics. The only tamiya I have is the Type 10 and I find the electronics lacking and dated. I have a tamiya Leo still in the box and I don’t plan on using the tamiya brain in it. In fact I would say even the HL 6.1 is better. Never thought I’d see the day.. Reliability of the tamiya dmd is better than HL and Clark but so is every other brand of mfu.

The tamiya motor whine is awful, no excuse for that anymore. This could easily be addressed by tamiya IMO, even the canshuo board has ultrasonic switching to eliminate that. The tamiya acceleration is still ridiculous. The turret traverse is too slow. The sound is system is too quiet, needs amp. With volume at 100% the sound will randomly cut out. The speaker box although it sounds nice, takes up all the space in the hull. If I fire the main gun with GBS on the turret functions malfunction usually requiring a restart. The turret motor whines incessantly when gbs is on. With all sounds off it sounds like there is a blizzard blowing inside the tank. I’ve shortened wires and put ferrite rings on the speaker wires but it didn’t help. Oh and only four channels!! Seriously? That’s why you have to do the Mortal Combat combo moves with the tamiya, because the had to find a way to get all functions on just four channels. And I’m not even going to start on tamiya electronics lack of features compared to other brands of tank brains.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Shagnifico wrote:Regarding tamiya electronics. The only tamiya I have is the Type 10 and I find the electronics lacking and dated. I have a tamiya Leo still in the box and I don’t plan on using the tamiya brain in it. In fact I would say even the HL 6.1 is better. Never thought I’d see the day.. Reliability of the tamiya dmd is better than HL and Clark but so is every other brand of mfu.

The tamiya motor whine is awful, no excuse for that anymore. This could easily be addressed by tamiya IMO, even the canshuo board has ultrasonic switching to eliminate that. The tamiya acceleration is still ridiculous. The turret traverse is too slow. The sound is system is too quiet, needs amp. With volume at 100% the sound will randomly cut out. The speaker box although it sounds nice, takes up all the space in the hull. If I fire the main gun with GBS on the turret functions malfunction usually requiring a restart. The turret motor whines incessantly when gbs is on. With all sounds off it sounds like there is a blizzard blowing inside the tank. I’ve shortened wires and put ferrite rings on the speaker wires but it didn’t help. Oh and only four channels!! Seriously? That’s why you have to do the Mortal Combat combo moves with the tamiya, because the had to find a way to get all functions on just four channels. And I’m not even going to start on tamiya electronics lack of features compared to other brands of tank brains.
I think you'll be disappointed trying over after markets boards, they're all a bit behind on ESC technology with the exception of the new Clark boards in using ultrasonic FETs.

Also regarding the volume, most are a similar volume or quieter (ibu2, small for Clark boards). The type 10s pretty sealed so that doesn't help. I was thinking maybe opening some of the vents up slightly would make a big difference

Most mbts have a turret turn speed of about 10-12 seconds right where tamiya is.

People complain about tamiyas lack of functions but they do what's needed to simulate the tank they go in. They don't need a trillion lighting combos, just the ones the tank will use.

If you don't want to move a stick up and across for a function you can buy a tamiya finespec radio which puts all functions on a buttons (or do the same with mixes on a decent hobby radio)

The tamiya GBS is a great function and far more user friendly than the alternative. As to the issue you're having all I and say is mine doesn't do the same with shutting down so could be a local issue with your setup.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

The new Clark TK50 addresses the sound/speaker issues. The TK50 blew out a Taigen 3W speaker in my T34/85. I replaced it with an FRS7 and it is LOUD.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Shagnifico
Lance Corporal

Post by Shagnifico »

I kind of went on a rant there.

I've owned a clark tk80, several different HL boards, ibu2, Beier, CS TK16. The Beier is the best but my favorite might be the CS TK16. Biggest disappointment was the Clark. I also have the finespec TX/RX which I don't recommend because it's way over priced and nobody sales receivers for it. A simple Flysky cost half as much and it's way better.

Return to “General Discussion”