New British RC Tank from Tamiya

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: New British RC Tank from Tamiya

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
Disappointed that this release was not a Churchill or Matilda but that's just slightly sour grapes on my end of things. I remember when Heng Long brought out their M4 105mm Sherman. It was also a scale up with many of the details from their simplified 1/30 Sherman. The M4 was a huge Hit for the Hobby and so much has since been built using that chassis. I have a hopeful feeling that the new Tamiya release will see the same wide usage.
regards
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Hi,
the big difference between the Tamiya and Haya centurion will be the suspension.
Haya plastic like the Chieftain
Tamiya metal
d10.jpg
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Well, I agree with Mr. Tankme. I find the newer tamiya electronics obsolete too. Yes, I know they are different to the old DMD-MFU, and now they come with an useless casio calculator type screen, but still, with syntetic sounds, no user sounds, almost no lights, no smoke, no realistic driving, no nothing.

At the other side I love assembling Tamiya kits, is therapeutic and I can't stand with 3d printed kits and all those lines. Who knows, if I can find it cheap enough I might build it, but for sure I will sell the electronics.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

jhamm wrote:Hi,
the big difference between the Tamiya and Haya centurion will be the suspension.
Haya plastic like the Chieftain
Tamiya metal
d10.jpg
Now that is a work of art

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Well, I agree with Mr. Tankme. I find the newer tamiya electronics obsolete too. Yes, I know they are different to the old DMD-MFU, and now they come with an useless casio calculator type screen, but still, with syntetic sounds, no user sounds, almost no lights, no smoke, no realistic driving, no nothing.

At the other side I love assembling Tamiya kits, is therapeutic and I can't stand with 3d printed kits and all those lines. Who knows, if I can find it cheap enough I might build it, but for sure I will sell the electronics.
Have you had any in person to try? Or are you going of second hand information

Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

tomhugill wrote:
Rad_Schuhart wrote:Well, I agree with Mr. Tankme. I find the newer tamiya electronics obsolete too. Yes, I know they are different to the old DMD-MFU, and now they come with an useless casio calculator type screen, but still, with syntetic sounds, no user sounds, almost no lights, no smoke, no realistic driving, no nothing.

Have you had any in person to try? Or are you going of second hand information

I had the Sheridan in my hands in a local meeting and I saw nothing but the same but with a new enclosure and that screen. I also took a look at the operating manual https://cdn.simba-dickie-group.de/downl ... n_M551.pdf, and still, nothing new. I have seen the videos of this new tank, and... nothing new.

Can I change the motor sounds? Nope. And it sounds, (at least to me), syntethic.
User sounds? (which is one of my fauvorite functions and a must have) Not even one.
Lights count? Scarce
Posibility of configurating almost everything like Beier or Elmod? Nope
Virtual gear changes, inertias, momentums? Nope

Of course for people that only do IR battling is more than enough, but not for me. And there were aftermarket german boards with way more functions more than 10 years ago. Nowadays there is no comparison possible, hence I consider them obsolete.

Still, as I wrote many times, I kinda understand the tamiya approach, they make simple electronics that almost everybody can use straight out of the box, but you still find people which are unable to trigger the main gun or machine gun. More complex boards would lead to frustration to many users. But I cannot justify the price of those electronics, and feature count, for me, are definitelly obsolete and have no interest at all. :(
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Can a TK-6.0 user sound? No
Rad, you like user sounds, a few others here do too,
but 95% of the users here are happy if they can operate a TK-6.0.
User sounds are not really the benchmark for badmouthing the Centurion.
A DMD has never been the equal of an Elmod, Beier or SGS.

You don't have to buy the FO model, there will be a display model in the foreseeable future.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

jhamm wrote:Can a TK-6.0 user sound? No
Rad, you like user sounds, a few others here do too,
but 95% of the users here are happy if they can operate a TK-6.0.
User sounds are not really the benchmark for badmouthing the Centurion.
A DMD has never been the equal of an Elmod, Beier or SGS.

You don't have to buy the FO model, there will be a display model in the foreseeable future.
Of course there are products for everybody and I know I am a rare case and not the norm, most people are happy with stock heng long electronics and of course with Tamiya electronics. I just wrote why, in my opinion and for what they cost, I consider them obsolete.

Problem with the display kit is once you add the gearboxes, recoil, elevation and rotation you are in the price range of the full kit. So that is why I think is better to buy the entire tank and sell the electronics.
tankme

Post by tankme »

Harry Serpent wrote:Tamiya New electronics are years a head of the old stuff.
I have ran my Tamiya Sheridan for over 2 years, and have never had a problem.
But the People who don’t like Tamiya will always find faults.
Not trying to find faults as I think the electronics are fine for those that like them. What I don't like about the Tamiya setup is the two stick driving. I would rather have driving on one stick and turret on the other. I realize you "can" do it on the older system by moving the servo leads around, but that is not ideal. I also prefer a switch or rotor to fire the gun and not a sequence of stick movements. These are preferences I have.

The turret elevation on my KV-2 not working the way they show it being built in the manual is a fault since it would engage the clutch just trying to raise the barrel a little bit. I had to remove a spring inside the turret connecting from the turret roof to the mechanism to get it elevate right. No amount of adjusting the lifting arm fixed the issue and believe me I adjusted it a lot trying to get it to work. Putting a zip tie around a turret rotate motor mount to increase the rigidity of the mount or gluing a clutch to make it not slip constantly is a design fault. Many times I've had my KV-2 turret not rotate when I want it to.

The servo lifting mechanism in the Cent is a step forward to simplify the older Tamiya system. How the tank is controlled is what I am most curious about. Does the Sheridan still use the two stick driving method with the stick sequence to fire the main gun and the machine guns?
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I don't think most people are satisfied with the Heng Long/Taigen stock sounds they just either have never heard better sounds or do not know how to access them and that RAD my friend is why you must continue teaching us,
Tamiya once upon a time boasted that the sounds in the Tiger 1 were recordings of 131 at the Bovington Tank Museum, so it was not always synthetic sound.
I guess it is cheaper downloading a synthetic soundtrack than finding a working example of a particular vehicle and recording it in situ :thumbdown:
Our loss.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “General Discussion”