New British RC Tank from Tamiya

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: New British RC Tank from Tamiya

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I think that we should be grateful, as Jurgen suggested earlier, that Tamiya has taken the trouble to release a new British tank- their only 1/16 Brit, in fact. Somebody must have been listening to the grievances, here and elsewhere. :) Perhaps, if this is a success, Tamiya may be encouraged to produce a WW1 Mk IV, or a Churchill. :thumbup: The Centurion is widely regarded as one of the best tanks ever made, and so it's only fitting that the premier model tank maker should include it in its inventory.
I'm also with Jurgen on the quality of Tamiya suspensions, when compared to the competition.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Rad_Schuhart wrote: Problem with the display kit is once you add the gearboxes, recoil, elevation and rotation you are in the price range of the full kit. So that is why I think is better to buy the entire tank and sell the electronics.
I think you did´nt take a close look at the Centurion. ;)
Servo recoil, Servo elevation.....

Buying the FO model and selling the DMD has been good practice for many years.
DMDs regularly sell for over 100,-€ and moore on ebay.

What makes a Tamiya model different from an HL model?
The assembly - everything just fits together.

Even if many details are simply solved, the quality is always better than that of many other manufacturers.

And as I have already written, we should be happy that Tamiya is bringing out another tank.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

tankme wrote:
Not trying to find faults as I think the electronics are fine for those that like them. What I don't like about the Tamiya setup is the two stick driving. I would rather have driving on one stick and turret on the other. I realize you "can" do it on the older system by moving the servo leads around, but that is not ideal. I also prefer a switch or rotor to fire the gun and not a sequence of stick movements. These are preferences I have.

The servo lifting mechanism in the Cent is a step forward to simplify the older Tamiya system. How the tank is controlled is what I am most curious about. Does the Sheridan still use the two stick driving method with the stick sequence to fire the main gun and the machine guns?
Man, you have another issue then. All those problems are as easy as programming your radio! You can use one stick for driving and another for turret, and for sure no need to touch the trims at all and neither ninja stick movements, not with the newer or with the older electronics!

Asign the correct signal to the switch of your choice and done... What you might need is a better radio...
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

jarndice wrote:I don't think most people are satisfied with the Heng Long/Taigen stock sounds they just either have never heard better sounds or do not know how to access them
Nah, mostly because they cost as much as tank itself and many people prefer to buy another model with stock electronics than elmod ;) I would love to put elmod or beier to all my tanks but with 1/3 average salary of Brits of Germans (with the same prices) it's tough ;)
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

jarndice wrote: Now we have to see how much it will cost and Tamiya being like BMW who have a nasty habit of producing a base model with the sort of high value extra cost fittings that other makers include as standard.
Yeah, Beemers and Bimmers have us over a barrel, but you should see Porsche! Great cars, but OUCH! 8O :crazy:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Photos for your visual pleasure :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

https://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/kat ... -1-16.html

€959.95 - so around £660 to us in the U.K.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Kaczor wrote:
HERMAN BIX wrote:Wonder how many will end up being Shot-kal's or Vietnam Australian versions once they get about the community ?
Taking into account the heated discussion on all forums and Facebook groups, we will see many variants and modifications ;)
I'm not into post war tanks but it's good to see a new kit from major player.[/quote)
I am guessing that no one including Tamiya will be simulating the RR Meteor Main engine ( A converted 12 cylinder Merlin aero engine) or the Morris 8 four cylinder side valve engine which was fitted to provide power to the radios and batteries.
And that highlights the failure of the 1/16 R/Cs scale' inability to detail large items in such vehicles.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

jarndice wrote:
Kaczor wrote:
HERMAN BIX wrote:Wonder how many will end up being Shot-kal's or Vietnam Australian versions once they get about the community ?
Taking into account the heated discussion on all forums and Facebook groups, we will see many variants and modifications ;)
I'm not into post war tanks but it's good to see a new kit from major player.[/quote)
I am guessing that no one including Tamiya will be simulating the RR Meteor Main engine ( A converted 12 cylinder Merlin aero engine) or the Morris 8 four cylinder side valve engine which was fitted to provide power to the radios and batteries.
And that highlights the failure of the 1/16 R/Cs scale' inability to detail large items in such vehicles.
What makes you think they won't be simulating the meteor engine?

The type 10 does have a neat feature where after turning off the engine and turning it back on once you get the generator sound, so who knows in this case

Return to “General Discussion”