Airbrushes

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: Airbrushes

Post by General Jumbo01 »

As said above, practice is the key. Tamiya primer rattle cans are fine for putting down a base coat over a bigger area. I've even used Tamiya cans for the primary camo colour. You can then add the other colours with your airbrush.

Practise on old models, looking for varying spray widths and both hard and soft edges. Just getting used to holding your brush and positioning the model will help. My only other advice is to buy some thread top bottles for the gun so as to avoid spillage from the cup!
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

With reference to rattle cans, Tamiya paints in general are expensive when compared to the large volume ones available from Auto Accessory stores one of these will easily cover three 1/16 scale Tanks,
I use Simoniz red oxide primer as the base coat on all my WW2 German armour also if you go to E-Bay you can buy for pennies a bag of different nozzle pattern spray heads for rattle cans these are very useful when adding a camo finish.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

I've been using tamiya TS-3 for the base colour of the KT and I've used 4 tins!

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I tend to avoid the commercial primers from stores because most of them are really heavy and designed for gap filling. I'm sure there are some out there that are lighter, but I've never found one as fine as the Tamiya fine primer. The Tamiya primers are expensive, but I personally think they are better at not filling in details on models when I have used them. When I have used them, I use them to just put barely enough down to cover the model. I do tend to prime with an airbrush normally and usually use black. It's not so much for the shade coat effect, but more for the "if I miss a spot painting, it ends up looking like a shadow". Painting over white primer is bit a pain in the butt in my opinion. These are tanks, not show cars after all... :)
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
whitewolf
Recruit

Post by whitewolf »

I use an old single action Badger (I think its a 200) airbrush with a Premier Air SS20E Tanked compressor with moisture catcher which is pretty quiet. Both are getting on a bit now, but continue to do me proud.

Return to “General Discussion”