If this is the future, my hobby ends here. :(

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
RenoirLV
Corporal

Re: If this is the future, my hobby ends here. [emoji20]

Post by RenoirLV »

I asked our post office just today and they did not say anything about 5€ duty for a 2€ item. I understand the cheapest way is to declare the item myself online and pay 21% plus transfer fee. All other options involve paying someone else to do it for you. The import duty applies to shipments of 150€ and more. Still I’m yet to receive the first shipment under the new rules. Will see how that works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: If this is the future, my hobby ends here. :(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

"So just pace yourself and take it easy… "

Easy that ain't!! :crazy:
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Rattlesnake road
Lance Corporal

Post by Rattlesnake road »

I haven’t paid anything extra on my figures from China as they are under £10 each
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

r32 wrote:I hope you can see this from a less binary decision either you’re in the hobby or you’re out, it’s painful to own less tanks or save longer, but when there’s a will there’s a way.

I started the hobby not being able to afford a modern tank (the only one was Tamiya’s 2A6) to having three currently, ten years down the road. Right place and right time.

Also, if you switch hobbies, unless it’s gardening, you’re likely going to come up with taxation if it involves purchasing from overseas.

So just pace yourself and take it easy…
It is just not affordable anymore. Not only the hobby for me, neither fixing toys for the customers and friends of my website.

As a desperating example, the replacement part I got from china... Well, I went to the post office today, and after paying 6.04 eur in taxes, I opened the box and to my despair the chinese sent the wrong part. That means I need to order the replacement part again, and another 6 in taxes euros for the part. Multiply it for loads of items, I just cannot afford it.

But buying in the EU is neither an option. As an example I ordered a watch strap for my son. I paid 1.5 eur for it. It arived with the letter, and yep, they want another 6 euros for it. Prior to refusing it, I checked the price in amazon germany for it, and exactly the same item, with the same pics, costs 19.99 there.

So yeah, I might not do gardening, that is one of my wife's hobbyes, but this summer I am flying to my parents home and Ill pick my electric guitar from there. That should make it. I will end living in a cave in the middle of nowhere cultivating mushrooms from my own poop at this point.

Yet again, the VAT I understand I have to pay, but the extra "importtariff" they charge us at least here in Austria, is unfair and a deal breaker.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

It possible I may upset some here, but I dont really care. Rad your are running some form of business when you are doing repairs to models for people, I respect it’s a hobby and you enjoy doing it, but when it’s on commission for someone it’s also a job.

Example, I have ordered your paint masks in the past, will likely be again in the future and as i pay you for there services I would expect you to charge me accordingly to off set the costs of the import duty on you materials.

If I was to commission some work on one of my tanks by you
Using your previous post as an example let’s say you charged 40 euro for the repairs, this covering the part and labour I would expect an email from yourself, explaining that you have to increase the agreed price by in this case 6 euro.

Sadly it’s not going to help you with the hobby unless you use eu suppliers but it will help with the cost of commissioned work. At the very least I would be expecting to have to reimburse you of the tariff
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

It is sad what you write RAD, but as I wrote earlier, the new fees are supposed to do exactly what they want - discourage private imports from China and strengthen the competitiveness of European sellers / producers . And since it is much more expensive for us - well ... that's another story.
Not such a bad idea with this guitar :) Last week I picked up my dream LTD with EMG on board (what a beast) - she came from the UK. If you are as good a guitarist as a model maker (which I have no doubts about) then I should hear your album soon ;) It's important to do what we love with passion.
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

Rattlesnake road wrote:I haven’t paid anything extra on my figures from China as they are under £10 each
Lets check your tracking, and note when your parcel has arrived in your destination country (I don't know where you live). If this happened before July 1 - it is likely that the fee was not collected. In addition, I am sure that for a few more weeks many small shipments may miss the additional fee - there is simply a huge amount of them, and the bureaucratic machine needs time to jump on the right track and 100% of processing capacity ;)

P.s In Poland, the Post Office starts on July 1 with customs clearance of all shipments. For this "service" they require a surcharge of PLN 8.50 / less than 2 EURO - not too bad. I expect a significant extension of handling a package from China - as if it had been "fast" so far (usually from 3 weeks up to 3-4 months ...)
r32
Lance Corporal

Post by r32 »

The price competitiveness of Chinese products, coupled with the ease of online shopping, can be ridiculous.

I needed a single Torx socket to undo the seat bolts in my car. Wanting to shop local, I must’ve gone to a dozen hardware stores, all to no avail. Aside from time and gas money I had to pay for parking in some of those places.

In the end I got it online from China for $10 (local). Still, the good times for me are ending soon too, where previously only items above $200 would be taxed it will become a blanket tax. At least it’s “only” 7%.
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

1.5€+6€ is still better than 19.99€. I’m just saying. So the EU market protection may not be achieved as a broader goal. Just more customs revenues and more work. A nice example of how new jobs are created.
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

Some Chinese sellers already had EU stock before. I had some shipments delivered to a local pickup box from Estonia. So they are thinking ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Started as a tank man.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural

Return to “General Discussion”