Challenger 2 upgrade

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
DRC
Lance Corporal

Challenger 2 upgrade

Post by DRC »

Hello to all

I think that it must be 3 to 4 years since I was last on this forum (I'm glad to see that you are all still here!). The tanks were put away in the loft and forgotten as although I retired once, I re-joined my old employer and work has been even more hectic this time around and especially the last eighteen months. I just wasn't ready to retire I guess.

So, on to my question. Just before everything got consigned to the rafters, I bought a Panther and a Challenger 2. Both are still in their boxes. The other day while looking for a suitcase I came across my tanks and decided to take the Challenger down and open it up. One thing led to another and the next thing I find myself doing is researching Challenger tanks.

The one I bought was one of the very first and so came with plastic tracks nylon gearboxes etc. I have decided to upgrade all of these and then upgrade the hull with some of the modern armour packs.

I have just bought a full set of Heng Long branded metal tracks complete with the idler wheels and drive sprockets. My question is - do these tracks and sprockets require a little sanding/caressing with a needle file? The ones I have seem to stick, the teeth and tracks catch on each other and I can foresee that this, if not remedied will cause the tracks to either jam or come off. (This was the same problem I had when I upgraded a Tiger 1).

Second question. I have bought a 3D printed driver's vison port. Has anyone had any experience of these and how did you fit it?

Finally! I would like to get rid of the HL electronics, buy something more hobby grade. ANY one have any suggestions?

Thank you for your time.

DRC
r32
Lance Corporal

Re: Challenger 2 upgrade

Post by r32 »

Depends on your desired end state.

I ended up spending 4 times the price it cost to buy the basic tank as you have.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Welcome back. When you were last here, I, a US fellow in the US, was on Hobby Havoc (a now-quiet Australian list) :wtf: . I am sorry you let work get in the way of retirement. :P I had a wonderful career, retired to care for a wife dying of Alzheimer's, and I still recommend retirement. :clap:

You might check out viewtopic.php?f=81&t=31416. There I asked about three boards I bought, and JHamm's answer identifies them for me. I know that all three were favorites, especially the Elmod. I am sure you will get more--and better qualified--answers. But when you do make a choice, let us know: I am especially interested in what transmitter you choose, for I have to make a choice one of these days.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

...The Attic's no place for a Challenger :D . I also bought a Challenger from the first batch of models to arrive here, during a Christmas period of 'Chally fever' on RCTW, back in 2015/16
Have a look at Dave's upgrade options here:
https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/c2 ... enger.html
Personally, I would upgrade the electronics to the V6.0 series from Heng Long- rather than head down the exotic road. The TK V6.0s and onward MFUs and uprated accessories (smoke unit, barrel smoke option etc..) make for an enjoyable and not break-the-bank upgrade. You also get proportional driving and decent sound effects, without endless tuning. Anyway, that's just my advice. :thumbup: Do enjoy the return to model tanking, in any event. :wave:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Rattlesnake road
Lance Corporal

Post by Rattlesnake road »

Heng Long now have a Version 7 receiver, but it is limited on the sound files to only 2, Leopard and Abraham’s. Reduced sounds to give more memory for extra lights.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

43 Recce: thanks for the good advice. Having spoiled myself shamelessly, I, too, have a somewhat earlier HengLong Challenger, Abrams, and Leopard, as well as a ZTZ99 and ZTZ99A. Someday they will be in action. Upgrades may be in order, but here, as everywhere, I have made budget cuts in retirement. :'(

Thanks for that tip, Rattlesnake. I do have a HengLong 6.0s, and I was puzzled by the sound choices limited to four. So I can have a Shermantiger or a Shermanabrams. (I do like the turbo sound.) I am sorry to learn that the HengLong 7.0 boards reduce the choice to two. :wtf:

Note, DRC, that your questions helped me, too. That's a nifty benefit to RCTW. :clap:
Rattlesnake road
Lance Corporal

Post by Rattlesnake road »

I have the Challenger 2 plastic tracks etc, but never like it, now sits in the cupboard. T72 steel gears, metal sprockets and idler and metal tracks. Super Pro Tiger came with steel gears, metal sprockets and idler, metal wheel and metal tracks new type smoke unit. Thinking of obtaining another Super Pro Tiger with V7 fitted.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

It's my experience that the main problem with the Chally 2's tracks is the alignment of the sprocket teeth and the track drive slots. This can be overcome by the fitting of the metal upgrade sprocket with the self centering track rings.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection

Return to “General Discussion”