EBay and Paypal

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!

Postby General Jumbo01 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:06 am

As of today, eBay sellers will no longer be able to use PayPal. That's the big news. What the news seems to be missing is that EBay buyers, like you and me, can't pay with PayPal. Ouch!

Where's our free protection gone? Do we avoid EBay in protest? :(
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Postby jarndice » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:45 pm

Are you quite sure you can't pay with Pay-Pal? I ask because earlier today the only difference was that Pay-Pal asked me to verify my account by tapping in a code number instead of just tapping "PAY".
jarndice
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby abramsky » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:08 pm

General Jumbo01 wrote:As of today, eBay sellers will no longer be able to use PayPal. That's the big news. What the news seems to be missing is that EBay buyers, like you and me, can't pay with PayPal. Ouch!

Where's our free protection gone? Do we avoid EBay in protest? :(

This is not exactly true. eBay has just introduced the long-announced (at least from 2018) eBay Managed Payments payment service. According to eBay, this service is expected to simplify the purchasing process and reduce costs (they just forgot to mention that it is only about their costs). The buyer is to have a choice of several payment options: credit, debit, and gift cards; Apple Pay; Google Pay; PayPal, and PayPal Credit. The PayPal service is to be available until 2023 after which it will expire (eBay terminated the contract with PayPal a few years ago with the service expiration date in 2023). What does this mean for buyers? Theoretically more choice of payment options. I'm just curious about the buyer protection policy - with PayPal it was 180 days from the date of purchase. You can probably forget about such a long protection period when PayPal will be no longer available on eBay. As standard, eBay offers 45 days of protection = goodbye cheap/free shipments from China with delivery in 2-3 months ...
What in return for sellers? Obviously, higher costs = higher prices for buyers. As eBay introduces new additional fees for us (sellers) - to give us easier and faster access to our money ... bull $% it !!! My money from PayPal is on my bank account for less than 24 hours!

For the curious, the link below:
https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/se ... -ebay.html
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Postby dgsselkirk » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:16 pm

As a seller you should also note the amount of information ebay is asking for. Reason for this? They are beginning to collect tax information on behalf of certain governments. some of you may have noticed that U.S. customers are now paying state taxes on purchases which they didn't before. I am sure it will not be long before they are feeding info to governments for tax purposes...
dgsselkirk

Postby General Jumbo01 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:31 pm

And just to prove a point...no, l just used Paypal to stock up on bearings from EBay. I still don't get it, or am l just being mislead by the press (again).
General Jumbo01

Postby brizo58 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:36 pm

Hi all,
Yep I knew this was going to happen. So I’ve closed my eBay and PayPal accounts. Brian…

brizo58

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:40 pm

General Jumbo01 wrote:or am l just being mislead by the press (again).

I'm afraid so. Diarrhoea has more integrity than the press these days.
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby abramsky » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:45 pm

General Jumbo01 wrote:And just to prove a point...no, l just used Paypal to stock up on bearings from EBay. I still don't get it, or am l just being mislead by the press (again).

Not all eBay sellers upgraded their seller account to the new rules. My consent to the new terms is required. I have time for it until June 18, and I'm going to wait until the last day to sell even under the old rules.
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Postby abramsky » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:46 pm

dgsselkirk wrote:As a seller you should also note the amount of information ebay is asking for. Reason for this? They are beginning to collect tax information on behalf of certain governments. some of you may have noticed that U.S. customers are now paying state taxes on purchases which they didn't before. I am sure it will not be long before they are feeding info to governments for tax purposes...

You're right. I know that. State taxes (in the US) are collected from the end of 2019. As a result, I lose an average of $ 1-3 per transaction because the eBay and PayPal commission is calculated on the amount with tax (gross) and I get the amount less tax and commission = they take me about 19% plus $ 1-3 !!! And what can I do to them? Here is the law of the stronger ...
The same is happening this year with sales to the UK. eBay collects VAT from the buyer and charges its commission on the gross price ... What a robbery !!!
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Postby General Jumbo01 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:13 pm

So how does the UK seller differentiate when he does his annual tax returns? What a mess! Yes, this is al about EBay making money, not making it better for it's customers. Meteors, global warming, East/West silliness, pets being stolen, and now EBay. I feel a deep depression coming on..... :crazy:
General Jumbo01

Postby midlife306 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:21 pm

General Jumbo01 wrote:So how does the UK seller differentiate when he does his annual tax returns? What a mess! Yes, this is al about EBay making money, not making it better for it's customers. Meteors, global warming, East/West silliness, pets being stolen, and now EBay. I feel a deep depression coming on..... :crazy:
Don’t forget UFO’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby General Jumbo01 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:19 pm

Thanks, but why would a UFO want to come to Earth? You'd think all that advanced intelligence would tell it to stay well away. Thank goodness for hobbies ;)

Which reminds me. Drones. Think I'll go and play near Gatwick. There are some nice, open spaces near there.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Last edited by General Jumbo01 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General Jumbo01

Postby jarndice » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:21 pm

My problem with Pay-Pal is not related to e-bay it is trying to log on to my Pay-Pal account, It asks for me to verify my account and then it won't flash up a code on my phone which is supposed to verify the whole sorry muck about,
I need it to settle a generous job of work done for me by RAD and if anyone knows of a better (another) way of transferring money to the European mainland I would dump Pay-Pal in an instant.
jarndice
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby General Jumbo01 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:26 pm

That code is, as l remember, sent as a text message. Does PayPal have your current number? Just a thought.
General Jumbo01

Postby jarndice » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:29 pm

General Jumbo01 wrote:That code is, as l remember, sent as a text message. Does PayPal have your current number? Just a thought.

Yes old friend both numbers and after waiting for a few minutes I get a message telling me they have a problem,
So I am no better off than when I began just more annoyed.
jarndice
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby abramsky » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:04 pm

jarndice wrote:My problem with Pay-Pal is not related to e-bay it is trying to log on to my Pay-Pal account, It asks for me to verify my account and then it won't flash up a code on my phone which is supposed to verify the whole sorry muck about,
I need it to settle a generous job of work done for me by RAD and if anyone knows of a better (another) way of transferring money to the European mainland I would dump Pay-Pal in an instant.

This may be a temporary problem. Sometimes, despite entering the correct login, password and SMS code, PayPal claims that "There was a problem on their side - please try again later". It is definitely worth verifying that PayPal has your correct / current phone number.

If you want to try a different route - one of the alternatives to PayPal I know is "WISE" (former TransferWise). I didn't use it, but a friend of mine from Illinois liked it to me once.
You can try it here:
https://wise.com/pl/

You also have Google Pay and a few others to choose from.
Good luck
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Postby jarndice » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:18 pm

Thank you Abramsky that is most helpful :thumbup:
jarndice
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:43 pm

I used PayPal at about 09:45 this morning, and again at about ten then five past ten, never had any issues with all three login's or payments.
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby General Jumbo01 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:20 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57318294.amp

A statement by BBC news this morning. In a nutshell, the buyer m :clap: ay still purchase using PayPal but they pay eBay, not the sellers account, and eBay then pay into the sellers bank account. EBay charge the seller more than PayPal for this service. Fallout to follow!

Not doing Gatwick as my drone battery won't charge....doh!
General Jumbo01

Postby mcevoyi » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:24 pm

Hi all my 2 pence worth

Facebook .. market place
seems to ve a way forward ...
Ebay /PayPal.. is just far to expensive

mcevoyi
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to General Discussion