EBay and Paypal

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Re: EBay and Paypal

Post by abramsky »

jhamm wrote:Much hot air about nothing ...
Summarized:
- ebay is good for buyers
- Paypal is a safe bet for buyers
- ebay imposes rules on the sellers and wants to control them
- the ebay platform is worthless without a buyer
That's the point ... and one more thing. EBay wants to earn more and more ... like any big business ...
And under the guise of choice, it imposes its own conditions ...
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Bankers, oh you mean a collective Wunch.....

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:I noticed this "headline" yesterday when I opened Google.
I didn't bother to read the article as there's too much misinformation out there on this subject, and it's making it even more confusing as to what is going on.

I've read that PayPal can still be used up till 2023 or was it 2024, and I've also read we won't be able to use PayPal after this month.
I know this was in the pipeline for a few years, but some news outlets are acting like this is a sudden surprise.

Anyway, here's the screen shot. I doubt their actions will make any difference.
I can see that the thread is still developing, although it would seem that everything has been said about it.
I wrote what you are talking about on the first page of this thread. I see you must have overlooked this Sir, so I will re-paste the link directly to the eBay site. I hope then everything will become clear. At the bottom of the eBay page is a FAQ with a lot of interesting information - directly from the source, not from journalistic sensational news ...
https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/se ... -ebay.html

I also need to correct your information, Sir. Because you haven't written about some important fees for sellers but also for buyers.
First. eBbay sent me a new price list in which it charges not 10% but 11% commission in most auctions - only that it is a net amount and it is averaged. There are categories with Final value fees below 10% but much more has a sales commission of 11 - 15% + $ 0.30 per order. If you are a small company ( I do not know how about private sellers ) - you have to pay eBay fees including VAT ( in Poland 23%, in the UK 20% ) = in total this gives a sales fee (let's assume 10% + VAT):
12% in UK and 12.3% in PL ...
Secondly. PayPal fees have never been below 5% (and I've been selling as a business for several years). Usually it is 5.4-6% (I never know how much exactly because it depends on the number and amount of transfers to my PayPal account and good mood at PayPal ...
Thirdly. Additional fee for currency conversion in PayPal. It is at a very unfavorable rate + additional currency conversion fee.
Fourthly. It is not true that the total selling costs will be only 12.8% ... eBay introduces a new price list:
https://www.ebay.pl/pages/help/sell/bus ... 646264#fvf
( sorry - i can't find English version - google translate should help )

- sales commission - minimum 11% ( 6.5% only in several selected categories )
- Listing fees $ 0.41- $ 0.61
- Foreign transaction fee !!! It's a New fee -
eBay FEES.png
eBay FEES.png (45.17 KiB) Viewed 644 times
3% currency conversion fee ( another New eBay fee ) - so far I have been receiving the PayPal payment in currency and I decided whether and when to convert it ... Now they will do it for me and take 3% !!!

They also scare me that: We may charge you if you end the auction early. So if I make a mistake and I have to cancel the auction - I have to pay !!!

To make it more fun: All fees listed on this page do not include VAT - so I have to add 23% to that !!!

All together this gives:
11% - Sale + Listing Fee ($ 0.41- $ 0.61) + foreign sale fee (1.6 - 3.3%) + currency conversion fee 3% + transfer fee 2.8%
= in total it gives 18.4% + 0.41 USD up to 20.1% + 0.61USD - NET (VAT depends on the seller's country, e.g. 20% UK - 23% PL)

So my dear friends. Small sellers will be leaving eBay or you'll soon feel the new eBay rules on your own wallets... It will never be cheap again...

So.. Have a nice weekend guys :wave:
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

Oh! Perhaps some of you have overlooked this as well, but eBay (and PayPal too - because it charges a commission for the entire transfer) also charges a commission on shipping costs. Currently, there is a total of around 18-19% ...
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Wow, thank you for that Mr abramsky.

I thought I had found a reliable source with a simplified version, it looks like even usually reliable financial advice sites are getting it wrong.

But at least us buyers know we can still use PayPal.

Have a good weekend yourself :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

"But at least us buyers know we can still use PayPal."
Assuming the sellers are still out there providing what we need? I'm sure we'll find a way of getting around all this. Can eBay monitor all the ways we can pay? If not, agree cash but pay with PayPal? I'm sure PayPal won't mind!

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

This is always assuming you can log on to your Pay-Pal account ???
I have been trying for two weeks to do just that and all I get is they want me to verify my password and so I have given them as requested two phone numbers upon which they are supposedly going to phone me and I can then tap in their code,
Yeah right !!!
I have yet to receive their call and I am in the meantime stuck owing money to a good friend in Austria with no obvious way around the problem.
Does someone, anyone have an answer pleese ???
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:"But at least us buyers know we can still use PayPal."
Yes Sir. From the beginning of this thread, I wrote that you can still use Paypal (until 2023) - the media love click-bytes and disinformation news.
General Jumbo01 wrote: Assuming the sellers are still out there providing what we need? I'm sure we'll find a way of getting around all this. Can eBay monitor all the ways we can pay? If not, agree cash but pay with PayPal? I'm sure PayPal won't mind!
The problem with eBay is that they monitor all our correspondence. Automatic search for keywords such as:
my e-mail
"@"
user@email.com
write me an email
call me
give me the phone number.
telephone number.
give your address
etc. etc.
Will result in receiving a warning and the next time - blocking the seller's account. eBay also blocks contact information and links to the store's website, etc. - before the sale with their "help" takes place. I once made an appointment with a UK seller to buy an electric guitar with personal pickup and payment in cash (I have friends in the UK who helped me). After I received the phone number from the seller, we both received a policy violation warning and a threat to ban eBay accounts ... So it's not that simple. You have a choice. Either you are with them (and you pay them a tribute) or you don't exist because no one will find you with your new online store ....
It is true that if someone has already found you outside of eBay - maybe he will come back and then PayPal is very helpful (with its 5% commission) ... But yesterday I checked and it turned out that such a WISE (online money transfer) is much cheaper with a commission for a transfer, usually $ 1-2 at an exchange rate according to the Central Bank. But none of my clients uses it - everyone wants it to be PayPal (which I understand - sometimes I use 180 days of protection myself) ...

There is Amazon as well - but they have no qualms about taking over your offers (copying them) and then selling them from their own warehouse at discounted prices ( below the purchase prices - they can afford it - that's their strategy ) until they get rid of inconvenient and unnecessary competition.
cashybai
Lance Corporal

Post by cashybai »

I've been selling on ebay (fishing tackle) for several years, 90% of my items sell for £5 each including postage. I've done quite a bit of trade to Europe, particularly Belgium & Holland , having had a long read of all the fees, changes and hassle that these ebay changes bring, along with the EU departure, I'll probably keep going for a couple more months until I can get a website sorted, and then I'm banging out, all trade will be through FB & the website.
The addictions getting worse... Pantiger, WSN Tiger Mid, WSN T34....And now a Jagdpanther...HELP!!!
tankme

Post by tankme »

I still sell on Ebay and probably will in the future regardless. The reason is the stuff I put on there is usually specialty stuff that needs a buyer looking for something really specific and I really don't want to just throw it out/recycle it. Most of it is vintage computer stuff I've collected over the years. Ebay is one of the few places you can put an old AMD Athlon 1.5Ghz motherboard/chip combo and actually have someone pay you money for it. Yes I sold one of those last year and the person paid $35 plus $20 shipping.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “General Discussion”