Day 1 - Walker Bulldog

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Mister Thrice
Recruit

Day 1 - Walker Bulldog

Post by Mister Thrice »

Well it finally showed today, 3 days late, but fedex does sundays now, which was news to me! So I crawled out of bed, on a whopping 2 hours of sleep, and started auto-piloting the opening of the box, and the auto-dissection of the internal battery box so that my 2s 5000mAh 60C Hoovo hardcase battery would barely fit. Too tired and inconvenienced to bother swapping out the annoying tamiya connectors (no offense to all those that are a fan of these, I grew up with them, but now every car I buy comes with deans, so I bought a bag of the things and now anything I do is deans, except the big rig rc monster truck, she needs an xt60 because she's ridiculous), I just cut a few holes to allow the wiring to fit (and a vertical hole for the smart charger plug, which, needs to have a slot or place that it can sit flush with the tray to avoid the interference with the 360 turret rotation). But, wasn't about streamlining right now, just wanted to do the general testing process.

General testing process worked out very well, I thought. Bashed it about a bit, and not sure if it was the rough & tumble I gave it, but I'm suspecting it was just not lined up properly, either way, a single pin in the metal tracks was not inserted into the opposite end, so the track was literally falling off of the wheels, and because it was askew, the pin was bent about 15 degrees, so removing that was a pain, and then straightening it was a pain, and then sanding it down to de-burr all the crap my leatherman did to the poor pin, and then test fitting it into all 4 slots it threads through (independently, naturally, to assure alignment and fitment), and then pounding it back into place with a tiny little brass hammer thing I have for the samurai sword cleaning kit. Finally, some lock tite on the end that was knurled for a good, pseudo-permanent fit, and back on the road.

Also had the jamming issues with the garbage bb's that it came with, had to shoot a couple just to see what happened, and after a few extra jams, blasted out like 7 of them, and it shot normally again. Put 50 rounds through it, and got pretty good at hitting the root beer bottle in the forest I found. But going to pick up those Bulldog 0.20 gram airsofts for the now, just to play. Then I'll begin the arduous process of figuring out different ammunitions for these beasts. I'm toying with the notion of CO2, as well as putting a smaller bb barrel inside the tank barrel to fire smaller rounds, and adjust the mechanism to fit the smaller projectiles. I will do weight testing later, as I have zinc, copper, steel, and some various others to tinker with. I also have pellets, and several variants of those too. Perhaps I can figure out a smaller round to get the more power I'm after. We'll see. Not in a rush.

Now, this stuff that came with the tank to put in the exhaust... It royally stinks!! Plus I think it's like 100% propylene glycol, which is just nasty. As a vape nerd/snob/geek, I will be putting my own custom blend in there, which will be what is referred to as "Max VG" eliquid, which will billow out quite an impressive cloud, perhaps even so much so that my tank will look horribly damaged. I'm fine with this. I'd rather it look like it had a fire going inside (or a cypress hill concert) thant smell like that acrid, stanky, metallic yet somehow oily sludge it came with. Nope. Also considering rewiring the coils, as they are junk, and then using my japanese organic cotton (superior for neutral scent/taste, but also in absorbing heavier eliquids, such as VG) My tank will smell like boysenberry donuts, or that shisha I like so much, orange/strawberry/mint when it looks like it's about to explode!! Yeah, a top-loading dripper-port would make my life easier too, and this little vape unit is adorably small, so shouldn't be a challenge to build something up for it. I will get my maths right for the voltage and resistance for the new coils, as I doubt sub-ohming a tank is a good idea, but something like a 1.5 ohm resistance pair of coils should be quite easy on the system, and slow-burning of the liquid. May put a wick-return system in the exhaust tubes to re-wick and drain the exhaust liquid back into the reservoir too, it makes a mess climbing any sort of hill.

Finally, going to pick up that steel turret gear, as I thought it'd come with it, but alas. No worries, hardly a financial setback for that part. Will want to pick up a bunch of extra metal tracks though, if nothing else for spares, but extra armor looks cool too.

Forgive my ranty ways. You all are the poor saps I nerd out to about this stuff, and I appreciate the lot of ya. Now I posted this in the general discussion section because I'm not asking questions per se, mostly voicing my ideas and thoughts straight away after testing. I haven't even put the accessories on it yet, because I'm quite certain I will be base coat painting it before that happens. Not to mention that I dont want it to look like a typical M41, if anything, and I had to pick a stock variant of the Bulldogs, honestly that DK-1 really had my attention. Loads of extra goodies went into those models, and, I like the look of it better. Side skirting armor is a no-brainer, great choice, and all the lasers and range finders, the dozen frag/smoke launchers, mechanized machine gun, certainly a more modern tank, but thats kind of why I like it.

Kind of want the Abrams next. I'm liking some of the Russian tanks too. It would be excellent to see these tank companies do modern tanks too, really diversify the hobby. Make a lot of parts interchangeable, so customs and concepts are more common and achievable... Sorry, ranting!!

Back to re-reading the manual, looking at all the parts, and possibly going out for another 4 hours and 45 minutes later tonight. Had to come home before my battery died to make dinner, put the battery on my charger and it had 3% of life left, so, pretty much perfect. I want it to go about 2 miles per hour faster, as I walk pretty fast, but I may be able to do that with higher discharge rating battery, so long as I dont go over the limits of this 7.0 mfcb... (continues mumbling to himself in a coherent, then very incoherent manner as he listlessly plods his way back to the living room)
“Don't slide down the rabbit hole. The way down is a breeze, but climbing back's a battle.” --Kate Morton

Return to “General Discussion”