Toasted HL Main board

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Lo_Thar
Lance Corporal

Toasted HL Main board

Post by Lo_Thar »

Anyone have ever same problem? Tank arrived to USA, customer change battery Connection to Tamyia for nimh {originaly i use lipo 2s with difrend Connection }, and than this happend. Stange is this black cable what have melted isolation. I only once have this problem with cheap rccar than i Connect battery incotect - Red to black
Attachments
IMG_0292.JPG
IMG_0293.JPG
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Re: Toasted HL Main board

Post by abramsky »

Oooo. Bad luck. Look's like polarity issue.
I am not sure if the MFu board survived the reverse connection. It seems that the mistake was not noticed immediately, therefore the short circuit melted the insulation and could lead to serious damage. It is true that some circuits have protection (e.g. a diode) against mistaken polarity change, but the photos doesn't show too much. These types of failures require a detailed inspection of components and paths on the pcb (they can also burn out and due to their size they are very difficult to fix) which is difficult due to the fact that usually the components mounted on PCBs in SMD technology are very small - only for electronics geeks.

Edit: It is worth to check whether the resistors in the power supply path are intact and whether the electrolytic capacitors have swollen due to reverse polarity (the upper part of the aluminum housing of the capacitor should be flat - there should be a cross there).
Lo_Thar
Lance Corporal

Post by Lo_Thar »

This multed Connection on first plan is Connection from battery to beier, this multed cable on second plan is Connection from beier to hl {power}. Strange that black cable is multed insted red
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

It is possible because both wires are placed in one heat-shrinkable insulation. You mustn't do it this way. Each cable must be individually insulated. It is enough that due to errors in soldering / assembly of the JST plug, several wires from one of the wires mounted to the JST plug were in contact with each other (positive and negative) and heat is generated - as a result, the insulation melts. Maybe there was no short circuit, but it was enough heat to melt the cables and (hopefully not) damage the power paths in both PCBs (Beier and HL) because of reversed polarity. If there was a short circuit - the battery would get hot very quickly / or it could be destroyed (I accidentally damaged my NiMh so long ago by accident) ...

Return to “General Discussion”