Fake tanks: models at the Tank Museum

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Fake tanks: models at the Tank Museum

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I imagine many here are following the series of videos being put out by Bovington, to keep things ticking over, as it were. Covid is no respecter or armour, nor anything we might like to pass our times doing... :problem: :/ but the videos are well worth following. Though watching them carries no risk of Covid, the craving to own some of the pieces on display, (items like them, that is) could seriously damage your bank balance... :D
Anyway, this video has some wonderful scale and engineering models on display,, as well as a stupendous RC all-aluminium Porsche King Tiger (at about 12 minutes in).
Do have a look, if you've not already dropped in.
phpBB [video]
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Re: Fake tanks: models at the Tank Museum

Post by sassgrunt »

You're right Roy - that Porsche King Tiger model is amazing, (as well as the fact that it took him 3-1/2 hours a day for three years to complete)! Very cool video, and I really appreciate you sharing it. One of my bucket list items is to visit Bovington and the Imperial War Museum, (although seeing the armored vehicles at the latter may not be possible in the future, due to changes that are being contemplated to turn it into an aero-related museum entirely).
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

sassgrunt wrote:You're right Roy - that Porsche King Tiger model is amazing, (as well as the fact that it took him 3-1/2 hours a day for three years to complete)! Very cool video, and I really appreciate you sharing it. One of my bucket list items is to visit Bovington and the Imperial War Museum, (although seeing the armored vehicles at the latter may not be possible in the future, due to changes that are being contemplated to turn it into an aero-related museum entirely).
Don't worry too much about the IWM, it has for many years been split between the Southwark base in South London and which is almost but not quite given over to all things military and historically used to be the Bedlam Mental Hospital (Most apt considering the madness that is war) and the Duxford Airfield wing of the IWM North of London (Border of Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire) which is primarily given over to Aviation (Military and Civilian) the Armour has always been a side issue at Duxford it's primary interest to me is it contains the Regimental Museum of the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Yeomanry (Later Regiment)
My fathers old regiment,
I became a sad old man as I passed all the old civilian aircraft because I began to realise I had flown in almost all of the types represented.
But of even greater interest to me is the hanger given over to the Airborne arm of the Army,
There is a relatively recent area given over to American Military aviation
A B52 towers over a B24 and B17 and all manners of other wonders such as the Phantom F4 and an F100 (First aircraft able to fly in excess of the speed of sound in level flight,
Outside lining the walkway to the hanger is a series of Stone blocks inscribed with the names of the USAAF Squadrons and Aircraft types that served at Duxford.
Just that hanger alone will take a lot of time to visit and there is so much more.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Thank you very much for that information. I shall expand the list of my bucket to include them as well; should I have to opportunity to visit the UK. Thank you again. -Mike

Return to “General Discussion”