Matorro King Tiger

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!

Postby SimonCornes » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:24 pm

Thanks John
Job number one - see if it works!

SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Postby Tiger6 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:34 pm

SimonCornes wrote:Well Tiger, I managed to whip the tracks off - for a change the pins came out of the tracks easily - and there were only two screws holding the top on either side. I was able to cut through the back plate/engine deck join with a scalpel very easily. So it has an RX18 MFU and two speakers!!

Well that's a good start - not sure what they hoped to achieve with 2 speakers, we'll just move on...

And a smoker with pipes not attached to the exhausts!

No great loss there then.

So I think I need to improve the back plate/ lower hull join and then make a clip to hold the top edge of the hull to the. Backplate. I bought 100 neodymium-whatever 5mm disc magnets yesterday for about six quid so I think magnets are the way to secure the hull in the future.

Worth a shot, not sure about the mechanics of holding the upper hull to the back plate, you'll probably have to fashion some magnet holders out of Milliput?

Would that be a straightforward case of unplug one, plug in the other?

Pass - if they have bastardised the wiring to get rid of the original Matorro board, then I would carefully check everything before plugging in a known good board - you might find there was a very good reason why this was left as a static model :O

I’m not sure if Taigen do a KT soundboard or if they use a Tiger I? If they use a T1 then a V6.0 might be the best replacement?

Tiger 1 sound's are as close as you will get - after all its the same engine, buried in similarly sealed metal box, with a similar exhaust system. HL's representation of this is so low fidelity that it won't sound like either one in any case. There's always been a suspicion that they sampled the Tamiya sounds from the MF01, which were recorded from the King Tiger at Samur.
Last edited by Tiger6 on Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiger6
Staff Sergeant

Postby SimonCornes » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:45 pm

Thanks Tiger. Regarding engine sounds, to me the sound on the v6.0 seems pretty good. I don’t know what a real maybach sounds like mind you but my Tiger 1 sounds okay - maybe!!

SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Postby Jofaur86 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:09 pm

Jofaur86 wrote::D
look between the top of the tracks under the wings of the upper frame, presence of several screws? may be necessary to remove the tracks? for having opened a Sherman, seems to me well that so? of memory

was that correct? can be poorly expressed 8O

Jofaur86
Sergeant

Postby SimonCornes » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:23 pm

Jofaur86, that was fine! I removed a link pin from each track and could see the hull fixing screws. I’ve taken them all out and separated the hull. Now the real fun starts. The hardware is very much like the Pan-Tiger. As it stands, the motors run - after I swapped the rx-18 receiver as the one in the tank had blown. As to the upper hull, only the mg works. The wires have been altered from the standard arrangement so I will copy the Pan-Tiger wiring. That all works except the gun elevation!!

SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:25 pm

Jofaur86 wrote:
look between the top of the tracks under the wings of the upper frame, presence of several screws? may be necessary to remove the tracks? for having opened a Sherman, seems to me well that so? of memory

I have to admit, it wasn't you best attempt at English ;)
But we can understand the meaning :thumbup:
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby jarndice » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:52 pm

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
Jofaur86 wrote:

Jofaur's first language is French so what is your excuse ? :haha: :haha: :haha:
Don't tell me you were being sarcastic.
jarndice
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:05 am

Oops :{

Bloody predictive :angel:
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby Jofaur86 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:00 am

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
Jofaur86 wrote:

:eh: correct, i have to admit, i'm not good at english, i use the google translator, and apologize, even if i try as much as possible to be understandable when writing.

Jofaur86
Sergeant

Postby HERMAN BIX » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:12 am

I had an entire lower with gearboxes for one.
But I used it to make up a King Tiger static diorama out of left over bits.
A mate of mine has a very new-still in the box Matorro KT that has all its accessories & is in mint condition.
As hes a Tamiya tragic, it will remain in the box for ever..................... :think:
HERMAN BIX
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Herr Dr. Professor » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:07 pm

TAIGEN SOUND BOARD APPLICATIONS

Please note, too, the discussion immediately below.

12 Cylinder Maybach 120 TRM Gas Engine:
Panzer III
Panzer IV
Sturmgeschutz III
12 Cylinder Maybach 210 Gas Engine
Tiger 1
12 Cylinder Maybach 230 Gas Engine
Panther
Jagdpanther
King Tiger
Jagdtiger
Tiger 1 late
Sturmtiger late
12 Cylinder V-2 Diesel
JS-2
T-34
KV-1
KV-2
Ford GAA V8
Sherman 75mm
Sherman 76mm
V12 Twin Turbo Diesel
Leopard 2A6
Last edited by Herr Dr. Professor on Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Corporal

Postby Herr Dr. Professor » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:11 pm

I have sound files for all of the current Taigen V3 sound modules. However, they are in <.mp3> format, and that format is disallowed here. Now let me see...where did I get those sound files? I wish I had a better remembry. :( Can anyone help (very funny! not my remembry; the URL for the sound files).
Herr Dr. Professor
Corporal

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:31 am

Herr Dr, I used to think the same as you did about the Maybach 210 only being used in the first 250 Tiger 1's till I was corrected with proof somewhere on the forum. They also used this engine in about 250 early Panthers :thumbup:
And they used the Maybach 230 in early to late Tiger 1's when they realised the 210 wasn't so good, when an old 210 went kaput, they didn't bother repairing it, they swapped it for a 230 :thumbup:
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby Herr Dr. Professor » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:58 am

Thank you, you ol' SOG. My list refers to both the Maybach 210 and 230 being in Tiger Is, but I was not aware that the 230 was used in some Panthers. It makes sense just as you explain it. I am going to edit in a note on the list above.
Herr Dr. Professor
Corporal

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:51 am

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Thank you, you ol' SOG. My list refers to both the Maybach 210 and 230 being in Tiger Is, but I was not aware that the 230 was used in some Panthers. It makes sense just as you explain it. I am going to edit in a note on the list above.

Why thank you.
My point about the tigers, you have stated that the 230 was in late Tiger1's, my point was that they started fitting the 230 in the 251st Tiger1 off the production line, making it still an early Tiger1 till the very last Tiger1 came out the factory, which covers early, mid and late installation :thumbup:
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby jarndice » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:19 pm

As Mick say's in May 1943 the Maybach engine in the Tiger 1 was changed to a "230" and apart from a brief and not particularly successful fitting of a Diesel engine the "230" remained as the main engine from then on.
The Fahrschulpanzer (Driving School) Tiger 1s used modified Maybach engines fueled by either compressed Stadtgas (Town Gas) or compressed Holzgas (Wood Gas) this was simply to save on the ever difficult to obtain regular Benzin (Petrol),
This form of fuel was not used in combat vehicles.
jarndice
Lieutenant-Colonel

Previous

Return to General Discussion