Matorro King Tiger

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Matorro King Tiger

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

TAIGEN SOUND BOARD APPLICATIONS

Please note, too, the discussion immediately below.

12 Cylinder Maybach 120 TRM Gas Engine:
Panzer III
Panzer IV
Sturmgeschutz III
12 Cylinder Maybach 210 Gas Engine
Tiger 1
12 Cylinder Maybach 230 Gas Engine
Panther
Jagdpanther
King Tiger
Jagdtiger
Tiger 1 late
Sturmtiger late
12 Cylinder V-2 Diesel
JS-2
T-34
KV-1
KV-2
Ford GAA V8
Sherman 75mm
Sherman 76mm
V12 Twin Turbo Diesel
Leopard 2A6
Last edited by Herr Dr. Professor on Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

I have sound files for all of the current Taigen V3 sound modules. However, they are in <.mp3> format, and that format is disallowed here. Now let me see...where did I get those sound files? I wish I had a better remembry. :( Can anyone help (very funny! not my remembry; the URL for the sound files).
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Herr Dr, I used to think the same as you did about the Maybach 210 only being used in the first 250 Tiger 1's till I was corrected with proof somewhere on the forum. They also used this engine in about 250 early Panthers :thumbup:
And they used the Maybach 230 in early to late Tiger 1's when they realised the 210 wasn't so good, when an old 210 went kaput, they didn't bother repairing it, they swapped it for a 230 :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Thank you, you ol' SOG. My list refers to both the Maybach 210 and 230 being in Tiger Is, but I was not aware that the 230 was used in some Panthers. It makes sense just as you explain it. I am going to edit in a note on the list above.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Thank you, you ol' SOG. My list refers to both the Maybach 210 and 230 being in Tiger Is, but I was not aware that the 230 was used in some Panthers. It makes sense just as you explain it. I am going to edit in a note on the list above.
Why thank you.
My point about the tigers, you have stated that the 230 was in late Tiger1's, my point was that they started fitting the 230 in the 251st Tiger1 off the production line, making it still an early Tiger1 till the very last Tiger1 came out the factory, which covers early, mid and late installation :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

As Mick say's in May 1943 the Maybach engine in the Tiger 1 was changed to a "230" and apart from a brief and not particularly successful fitting of a Diesel engine the "230" remained as the main engine from then on.
The Fahrschulpanzer (Driving School) Tiger 1s used modified Maybach engines fueled by either compressed Stadtgas (Town Gas) or compressed Holzgas (Wood Gas) this was simply to save on the ever difficult to obtain regular Benzin (Petrol),
This form of fuel was not used in combat vehicles.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tubby
Recruit

Post by Tubby »

SimonCornes wrote:Well Tiger, I managed to whip the tracks off - for a change the pins came out of the tracks easily - and there were only two screws holding the top on either side. I was able to cut through the back plate/engine deck join with a scalpel very easily. So it has an RX18 MFU and two speakers!! And a smoker with pipes not attached to the exhausts! So I think I need to improve the back plate/ lower hull join and then make a clip to hold the top edge of the hull to the. Backplate. I bought 100 neodymium-whatever 5mm disc magnets yesterday for about six quid so I think magnets are the way to secure the hull in the future. The receiver has a 27 MHz FM crystal - I though HL crystals were AM? Maybe not. I could swap it for a real RX-18 receiver from my Pan-Tiger, and borrow the 7.2v battery pack to see if it actually goes! Chances are I will want an HL v6.0 instead. Would that be a straightforward case of unplug one, plug in the other? I’m not sure if Taigen do a KT soundboard or if they use a Tiger I? If they use a T1 then a V6.0 might be the best replacement?
Any thoughts?!!!

Torro/Taigen produce a "Panther" soundcard for the V3 MFU that's a better sound than the Heng Long sound "which was stolen from Tamiya.

The Torro/Taigen MFU is also reverse engineered from the RX-18 so it would be a straight swap, albeit for the smoker switch which is now located on the transmitter.

Return to “General Discussion”