Das Reich's S32 Tiger I at Kursk

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Das Reich's S32 Tiger I at Kursk

Post by Jnewboy »

Hi, Im doing S32 from Das Reich at Kursk. It started as just wanting to have an early version Tiger but did not want the DAK one as the Tiger is famous for its fighting at Kursk so I thought this was fitting. As I go deeper down the rabbit hole however I remembered why I hate doing a specific AFV especially German ones as no set of rules apply, you can say this is right and this is wrong for a time period, or even a division or unit but the only way you really know is photos...

Here are the only pics I can find and Im hoping maybe someone out there has others...

ImageTiger_s32_2 by jon newsom, on Flickr

Image289567b228010ce33a13569f64e84e97 by jon newsom, on Flickr

Image355e752a77ab918685c902903de04fe8 by jon newsom, on Flickr

Here is what I have gathered from these pictures:

Number one, the left hand side light is just gone, you can see that it’s gone in two of the pictures, I thought well maybe it just got blown off by a high explosive round but as you can see in the one where all the tigers are lined up preparing for the fight the lights already gone… WTF?

The next thing I noticed is that it does have the early loader periscope, which is possible because those started in January. I also noticed that the S mine launcher is missing from the left hand side, the same side that the light is missing from. The S mine launcher is in the front behind where the light should be but not on the side.

Another thing I noticed is that it has the unreinforced mantle on the gun visible in the picture where the guy is standing in front of the tank.

Did I miss anything? Do any of you know anything else that is specific to this tank?

Thanks!!!
Last edited by Jnewboy on Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Das Reich's S32 at Kursk

Post by jarndice »

I hope I am not raining on your parade but Grossdeutschland, /13 Panzer regiment 1, / Schwere Panzer Companie of SS Panzer Regiment 2 all ran Tiger 1 early's with Turret number S32.
I am using "Tigers in Combat by Wolfgang Schneider" as my source.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Re: Das Reich's S32 at Kursk

Post by Jnewboy »

jarndice wrote:I hope I am not raining on your parade but Grossdeutschland, /13 Panzer regiment 1, / Schwere Panzer Companie of SS Panzer Regiment 2 all ran Tiger 1 early's with Turret number S32.
I am using "Tigers in Combat by Wolfgang Schneider" as my source.
That may be, but as I understand it only Das Reich used that "Jumping Devil Gnome" logo on the turret.

Anyone have anymore info?

Return to “General Discussion”