New gun smoke from Torro

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

New gun smoke from Torro

Post by Kaczor »

Toro announced their version of gun barrel smoke but timing is wrong. Smoke, flash and sound should start when recoil is on maximum not other way around.

phpBB [video]
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: New gun smoke from Torro

Post by silversurfer1947 »

That has to be a unique gun, to recoil first and then fire!
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Maybe the barrel thrusting forward like that adds some extra punch behind the shells trajectory, like a sling shot ;)
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

It looks like they forgot to add a timer module and a trigger.
Torro. It is a bit of a shame to show such an underdeveloped product ... ;)
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Otherwise, not bad! :eh:
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I cannot help smiling at this sudden interest by Heng Long/Taigen/Torro in smoking gun barrels,
Barrel recoil yes if it works properly, I should like to have it on all my Armour but Smokeless ammunition was first introduced by the German Armaments industry in the early 1940s,
Smoking Tank engines after being warmed up should be defected by the driver because unless there is a tactical requirement they just should not do it.
Truck drivers found to be using lorries with smoking engines on the roads of the UK and the EU will almost certainly be given a warning or a ban depending on the severity of the output by the Police or DoT inspectors.
Military vehicles are NOT exempt.
If the model Tank makers desire realism they should be removing smokers not fitting even more :thumbdown:
Or fitting a smoker that puts out a black cloud of smoke on start up and then nothing.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

I agree in case of engine smoke (as smoke don't scale very good, same with water).

But barrel smoke is desired option:
phpBB [video]
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Generally agree, black engine smoke at startup then stop, but barrel smoke is still present on, for example, a Chally 2. Watch a video and you'll see a huge explosive flash consisting of bright orange light and a ball of fast disappearing smoke/vapour.

The problem with the model tank representations, apart from timing, is that the smoke is too 'lazy'. I've been playing with the idea off using the BB firing mechanism to fire a small pocket of smoke up the barrel so that the orange led flash illuminates it as it emerges. All WIP at the moment.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Here's one I done recently using the heng long smoker system plugged into an heng long tk6.1s board, the smoke was a little bit excessive in the video as I had just filled the smoke fluid reservoir :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.

phpBB [video]
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Well, I think it's all heading in an interesting direction- once the timing's sorted out. :)
I've seen loads of videos of barrels producing smoke (irrespective of the 'smokeless' propellant), and engines wheezing away. WW2 engines didn't exactly have pistons that were a Formula 1 (semi-seized) fit. They were only good for a few hundred miles before a major refit was needed, and you can bet that the valves, valve stem oil seals, and pistons (worn rings) had been leaking a long time before the maintenance teams were called in.

Again, I've seen lots of videos of WW2 tanks (irrespective of origin) smoking away.
All the cars, buses, trucks, and motorcycles that were around in the 1950s- when I was kid- produced some sort of exhaust; whether from combustion, or from burning sump oil courtesy of worn rings, etc. I don't imagine it was any different in the 1940s. They were a major contributor to 'pea-soupers', along with coal fires. Even then, 'smokeless coal' produced some smoke.

Anyway, I rather like the mix of smoke flash and recoil: but getting them in the right order, would tick a few more plaudit boxes. :D ;)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “General Discussion”