Long Range Tank Kill

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Long Range Tank Kill

Post by silversurfer1947 »

The Tank Museum, yesterday, released this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?utm_sourc ... e=youtu.be
It's only 33 seconds of your time.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Long Range Tank Kill

Post by Jimster »

That’s a great shot! Those guys never knew what hit them or where it came from. Love it.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Strange, it has been put on record at close to three miles :think:

Oh, and someone needs to correct them at Mark 1 Tanks, they state it was the challenger 2 that holds the record for tank on tank kill.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Rattlesnake road
Lance Corporal

Post by Rattlesnake road »

On 26 February 1991, Callsign 11B, the Commanding officer of the SCOTS DG achieved the longest range confirmed kill of the war, destroying an Iraqi tank with an armour-piercing fin-stabilized discarding-sabot (APFSDS) round fired over a distance of 5,110 metres (3.18 mi)—the longest tank-on-tank kill shot recorded.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I don't think the original video was claiming to be the longest kill, just one of the longest. What I think they were particularly proud of is that it was one shot.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Rattlesnake road
Lance Corporal

Like everything to do with shooting a lot of factors would of influenced this shot, it was the crews lucky day.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Rattlesnake road wrote:Like everything to do with shooting a lot of factors would of influenced this shot, it was the crews lucky day.
Perhaps not so much for the other crew.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Rattlesnake road wrote:Like everything to do with shooting a lot of factors would of influenced this shot, it was the crews lucky day.
Would have been down to crew skill if it was an M1 Abrams eh ;)
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Hello guys,

I just had to add this little story to the discussion. A while back I did a short review of the book Tiger Battalion 507: Eyewitness Accounts from Hitler's Regiment by Helmut Schneider. It was translated to English by Robert Forczyk in 2020. Even he stated that the following event seemed apocryphal.

In one of the Tiger 1's, the gunner Obergefreiter Franz Dietrich, spotted a Russian convoy on a rollbahn being led by a single T34. The distance was estimated to be 6 to 8 km away. After obtaining permission from the Commander to try a "pot shot" he started about guesstimating the trajectory. With the 88 at max elevation he couldn't see the convoy through his sight. So he proceeded to raise and lower the barrel attempting to "dope the wind" (an old term we long range target shooter's use here in the States). He guessed it was closer to 8 km distant,and allowed 200 to 300 m for lateral deflection. The "myth" states that the length of time that it took for the shot to arrive at the target allowed Franz to fill his pipe, borrow a lighter, and take a few puffs! :wtf: According to Helmut who witnessed this event and swore by it, it was a direct hit! :crazy: The incident was also witnessed by other Tiger crew's and according to Helmut, Franz was credited with the kill as it was officially confirmed!?

Who knows? This book was started almost 40 years after the event. As with all things, there is the element of blind, dumb luck. After 30 years of being a dedicated hunter, I have seen some unbelievable shots too. I have even made a few myself, my desire to make a clean kill and not merely wound an animal has tempered my though process in taking many shots. A man must know his limits. That being said, I have seen less ethically challenged hunter's do what I would consider impossible. I have also seen it turn bad. Hours spent tracking a wounded animal, all the time while it suffered miserably. Some never to be found. It wasn't my style and I didn't want much to do with it. I just found the story interesting, as it could be possible.

Regards,
Eric.
Last edited by EAO on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Rattlesnake road
Lance Corporal

Once on the ranges at 300 meters using iron sights, no scopes back then, the guy spotting for me says to me “your hitting the stick” me thinking I am a little low change my point of aim. He then asks me what I was doing, aiming a little higher I replied you told me I was hitting the stick. “Go back to what you were first doing” he replies, so a change of position again and back to my original aiming spot. 3 shots later the target fell to the floor, I was hitting dead centre on the support stick.

Return to “General Discussion”