I Want Your Opinion!

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!

Amphibious Tank Concept Base Model

Poll ended at Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:03 pm

T72
54%
Abrams
No votes
Walker Bulldog
8%
Leopard
23%
Chally
15%

Total votes: 13

PershingLover
Corporal

I Want Your Opinion!

Post by PershingLover »

I'm cooking up an idea, but I don't know which tank to tinker with. Sort of like a schwimmwagen, but a schwimmpanzer!
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: I Want Your Opinion!

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I'd recommend something with a big, roomy interior for adding mechanisms and a wide/long and low profile to aid flotation and stability. Can recommend Shoegoo for strong, flexible glue/ sealant. Good luck, sounds like fun.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

What, no Sherman for a DD 8O

I'd go for whichever one you can get for the cheapest price. Just in case it goes wrong ;)
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Well look no further than the Panzerkampfwagen 1V als Tauchpanzer/Tauchpanzer 1V known as the Submersible Medium Support Tank which was designed and built to fill the need for a Tank in operation Sealion, The sea invasion of England,
After the abandonment of that operation the majority went to the 18th Panzer Division and the balance to 6th Panzer Regiment of the 3rd Panzer Division,
!8th Panzer Division successfully crossed the River Bug Underwater with their Tauchpanzer's on 22nd June 1941.
I hope that offers a little inspiration :thumbup:
And a lot of people wonder what the rectangular plate beside the turret on the floor of the body of the Tiger 1 is for, It is a fording plate which was very quickly removed from the Tiger 1 Unless of course it is a Taigen/Torro/Heng Long Tiger 1 :haha: :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

jarndice wrote:And a lot of people wonder what the rectangular plate beside the turret on the floor of the body of the Tiger 1 is for, It is a fording plate which was very quickly removed from the Tiger 1 Unless of course it is a Taigen/Torro/Heng Long Tiger 1 :haha: :haha:
I don't wonder, because I have no idea what plate you're on about, a picture would save a thousand words :thumbup:

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
jarndice wrote:And a lot of people wonder what the rectangular plate beside the turret on the floor of the body of the Tiger 1 is for, It is a fording plate which was very quickly removed from the Tiger 1 Unless of course it is a Taigen/Torro/Heng Long Tiger 1 :haha: :haha:
I don't wonder, because I have no idea what plate you're on about, a picture would save a thousand words :thumbup:
Take the cap off & screw in a snorkel

Sent from my bunker using a carrier pigeon
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Thanks Wayne :thumbup: :/

midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

https://images.app.goo.gl/GMm52q7DeRjYZQXv8

Sent from my bunker using a carrier pigeon
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

This is not one of the choices you listed, but for Operation Seelowe, they DID maker a couple of Schwimmpanzers - the Panzer II and the PZ 38(t). They each had floatation chambers around the tank to keep it on the surface, and were meant to be transported to the coast by a VS-8 hydrofoil. This flooded at the stern to let the tank swim out and to shore. And, at least there is that Panda Pz 38(t) kit that could be used, if you were so inclined.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Yep, Tauchpanzers, particularly Pz 111s, were designed to roll along the seabed, at a depth of 15 mtrs. In this pic, you can see the long air supply hose/ schnorkel it needed:

and here's another example of a waterproof panzer:
phpBB [video]

A floating Panzer is quite a different challenge. :D Here's a drawing for example Mike referred to...
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “General Discussion”