Heng Long vs Taigen Leopard 2A6

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Leo Part 1
Recruit

Re: Heng Long vs Taigen Leopard 2A6

Post by Leo Part 1 »

That looks very similar to what happened to my tank and battery! The connector did burn down, not sure if that was the cause or a result but it did destroy my board.
So I might order a 6.1S. I was looking into getting the barrel smoke unit. It needed some tweaking with the v6.0S (because of Amps) but it might be ok with the v6.1S.
What connector does the 6.1S has for the batteries?

Very interesting what you have done with the engine deck detection! I need to investigate!
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

Yeah! It's almost a 1: 1 conversion. All you have to do is change the battery plug (not MFU) to T-Deans (female). This will protect you in the future against the risk of short-circuiting or swapping + / - wires. And it will allow for lower losses (resistance) in the flow of current.

I'll show you how the engine deck detection works when I mount the elevation servo in the tower (maybe even today). The trick is to mount the sensor in the right place. I have to test it and then I will add a new video.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hi,

Just thought I would upload a short clip showing the cannon smoke function on the heng long tk6.1s mfu. I've installed it on a project I'm currently working on and combined it with a recoil unit I made for the barrel and a cannon flash, the smoke effect is a bit excessive in the clip only because I had just topped up the reservoir but I'm pleased to say it has calmed down since 

Cheers,Lee.

phpBB [video]
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Leo Part 1
Recruit

Post by Leo Part 1 »

Hm, changing the connector on my battery would also mean I have to change the connector on my other batteries. What about changing the connector on the v6.1s to a Tamiya or XT60 connector?
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Hi guys,

Doesn't Clark "recommend" an inline fuse between the Battery and the Board? I know they do with the TK60G2 just to help minimize the risk of this type of failure.

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

Leo Part 1 wrote:Hm, changing the connector on my battery would also mean I have to change the connector on my other batteries. What about changing the connector on the v6.1s to a Tamiya or XT60 connector?
Avoid the Tamyia connector. It is the weakest link in an electrical system. The cables can slide out of the Tamiya casing (which happened to me several times in my son's Leopard), and additionally, it does not withstand more than a few Ampere of current - then it overheats and can burn out. It was this connector (and the poor quality cables) that could get so hot that the insulation burned down and caused a short circuit. This is one of the worst choices. Go in the T-Deans or the XT-60. Because the TK 6.1 / 6.1s already has the T-Deans connector installed, you just need to replace it in the battery. it's easy. Just don't forget to use heat shrink insulation.
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

BarryC wrote:Hi guys,

Doesn't Clark "recommend" an inline fuse between the Battery and the Board? I know they do with the TK60G2 just to help minimize the risk of this type of failure.

Barry
Yes Sir. The fuses can help, but if the rest of the components are of such poor quality (connectors and cables) even this won't save you from overheating the weak contacts in the connector which melted this crappy Tamyia plug.
Leo Part 1
Recruit

Post by Leo Part 1 »

abramsky wrote:
Leo Part 1 wrote:Hm, changing the connector on my battery would also mean I have to change the connector on my other batteries. What about changing the connector on the v6.1s to a Tamiya or XT60 connector?
Avoid the Tamyia connector. It is the weakest link in an electrical system. The cables can slide out of the Tamiya casing (which happened to me several times in my son's Leopard), and additionally, it does not withstand more than a few Ampere of current - then it overheats and can burn out. It was this connector (and the poor quality cables) that could get so hot that the insulation burned down and caused a short circuit. This is one of the worst choices. Go in the T-Deans or the XT-60. Because the TK 6.1 / 6.1s already has the T-Deans connector installed, you just need to replace it in the battery. it's easy. Just don't forget to use heat shrink insulation.
I think I'll change all connectors to XT60. On all my batteries, the Taigen v3 board and the HL v6.1s. That way all batteries are interchangeable between my 2 tanks and my charger has a XT60 connector. Also, most Lipo's can be bought with a XT60 connector.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

What type of battery was it? If it was a LiPo did you have a low voltage alarm on it?
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Leo Part 1
Recruit

Post by Leo Part 1 »

tankme wrote:What type of battery was it? If it was a LiPo did you have a low voltage alarm on it?
It was a Li-Ion

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”