2020 Holiday Build - SdKfz 234 2/3/4

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: 2020 Holiday Build - SdKfz 234 2/3/4

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I bought one of the Pumas about two years ago, complete working set. I live in terror of messing it up. So if you build the Puma, I will appreciate any help and photos you post.
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

lmcq11 wrote:Wow, fabulous project.

My only concern is the planned use of an Ultimate Soldier 1/18 plastic PAK 40 on such jewel. Might look undersized. Have you investigated if the Vandra 1/16 PAK40 resin kit could be a better fit ?
I will have to dry fit it and see how it looks.
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:I bought one of the Pumas about two years ago, complete working set. I live in terror of messing it up. So if you build the Puma, I will appreciate any help and photos you post.
Been running into some issues already. Missing a bevel gear but that is on the way from Germany. Bigger issue is that the servo does not seem to be strong enough to pull 4 set of steering swing arms. Will have to see how to make it less taxing. The weak servo mount does not help the cause either.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

MichaelC wrote:Bigger issue is that the servo does not seem to be strong enough to pull 4 set of steering swing arms. Will have to see how to make it less taxing. The weak servo mount does not help the cause either.
I agree. I have experimented the same issue with the 6x6 TPZ-1 with 2 steering axels. Steering servos designed for light 4x4 vehicles are not strong enough for multi axels armored vehicles, even if i gave each axel its own servo. They can manage to steer the heavier armored vehicle when it is running on flat surface, but they can't deal with the load when the vehicle is idle or on any other surface. I had to change my initial servos to larger ones. Better use full size high torque servos with metal gears if space is available...
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

I have the stock metal servo standard size but it is not doing the job. I tried greasing every steering set, and I can barely move them with my hand so the servo is jammed everytime I hook it up. Not too sure what to do right now but will have to think about this. Each steering set is fairly smooth and easy to move but when you have 4 of them it quickly jams up the steering mechanism. Don't know if the fact that half of them are going the opposite direction has anything to do with it.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Always liked these, heard stories about badly made parts and so on. Look forward to your build :)
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Will01Capri wrote:Looks like fun holiday project build. The Pak40 looks ok aswell.
Although if I were going for 1/16 I may be slightly biased with my own version haha
phpBB [video]
Why is it that everything you post; and I first see, is cooler than the last thing you posted? What all do you two have hidden in that closet over there? :thumbup: :clap:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

EAO wrote:
Will01Capri wrote:Looks like fun holiday project build. The Pak40 looks ok aswell.
Although if I were going for 1/16 I may be slightly biased with my own version haha
phpBB [video]
Why is it that everything you post; and I first see, is cooler than the last thing you posted? What all do you two have hidden in that closet over there? :thumbup: :clap:

Cheers,
Eric.
Hahahahahha
The only thinking locked away is what is stuck on a very long list in my head. I just love pushing the technology and complexity on each and every model and like to leave them open for evolution. Glad you like the Pak40, that has been a labour of love.

Its funny, one of my friends has asked me to look at some of the armoured car models like this and the 222. Unfortunately he is struggling with his kit with a model from the same company and has got soo frustrated it has been shelved because of the same steering servo setup. I think it may be relatively easy to do a retro fit kit to improve and upgrade the original castings. But its another thing on the list which is not going to happen this year
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!

Return to “General Discussion”