Driving Realistically

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Driving Realistically

Post by Jimster »

Okay. Here’s the deal. They joy I get out of rc tanks is making it look, sound and move as realistically as possible. I know that’s not everyone’s cuppa tea. Some folks are happy with jack rabbit movements, high speed travel and super fast spins and turns. That’s probably desirable for frantic IR battles. That’s awesome for those who enjoy that and more power to them. I might like that if I was closer to a battle club. I am not.
Therefore I go for realism. I don’t like sounding like a broken record but the Elmod boards offer the best in realistic tank sounds and movement. Today I got a YouTube notification to watch a video that I might be interested in. It’s just a random video of a 1/16 Panther using an Elmod Eco board. I was impressed and I’m going to post a link to it for those who are interested in 1/16 scale realism. An example of what I strive for.
https://youtu.be/fZytVWmrMZg
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Driving Realistically

Post by Jimster »

I forgot to mention the joy of being able to let off the throttle and the tank very very slowly rolls to a stop. During which time you can feather the throttle to keep the slow roll going most realistically and then pull back on the stick to tap the brakes to slowly stop or keep it pulled back to slam on the brakes. It’s a very satisfying driving experience.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Jimster wrote:Okay. Here’s the deal. They joy I get out of rc tanks is making it look, sound and move as realistically as possible. I know that’s not everyone’s cuppa tea. Some folks are happy with jack rabbit movements, high speed travel and super fast spins and turns. That’s probably desirable for frantic IR battles. That’s awesome for those who enjoy that and more power to them. I might like that if I was closer to a battle club. I am not.
Therefore I go for realism. I don’t like sounding like a broken record but the Elmod boards offer the best in realistic tank sounds and movement. Today I got a YouTube notification to watch a video that I might be interested in. It’s just a random video of a 1/16 Panther using an Elmod Eco board. I was impressed and I’m going to post a link to it for those who are interested in 1/16 scale realism. An example of what I strive for.
https://youtu.be/fZytVWmrMZg
Jimster,

Not knocking or taking exception with the way anyone wants to operate "their" tanks but I agree with you completely. I am shooting for the most realistic operation possible. I've worked hard at creating an accurate model and now realistic operation is needed! :thumbup:

I too really like the ElMod boards, they function extremely well and with all the adjustable parameters easily done at the board level, IMO they are the Top Shelf! I just wish they would provide GBS and Main Gun Deck Lift for installations in modern tanks. :problem:

I am trying to install the TK60G2 in my Abrams and I am already concerned about getting all the adjustments made with the "TV Remote"! I would like to see Clark provide ElMod type computer interface for parameter adjustments. Then we would have 2 Top Shelf choices. :clap:

Barry
Last edited by BarryC on Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Agreed! I recently received a new replacement TK-80 G2 for my crippled Leopard 2A7+ but I haven’t the heart to install it. Lost my mojo for modern tanks. I’m would seriously consider selling the tank and board or just getting another Elmod and forget about the GBS.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Hey Guys,

I don't mind seeing tanks flying around with "jack rabbit" starts and even drifting! It all makes me smile! :D If that's what one want's, by all means do it! :thumbup:

That being said, I love the Elmod and the fact that my Tiger 1 can move like the true leviathan it was! Very cool video! Nice Panther and an owner who's not afraid to get it dirty or a little damp! :clap:

It's all very cool!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

That video makes me want to make a better video of my Tiger highlighting the slow speed motor control in a more realistic environment. Maybe we’ll get some snow this winter and I could make a little “Outskirts of Leningrad” video.
dgsselkirk

Post by dgsselkirk »

I like the El Mods too. A couple of guys in the club have them but me personally I still prefer my clark boards. Crawling with the ultrasonic FETs works quite nicely and as shown still gives you lots of torque for obstacles. Sound programs are good and the price for a TK40 (which are being run in these 2 videos) is substantially less than El Mods which is a consideration when you have as many tanks as I do! :D There is a setting with the Clark that lets you turn on and off momentum. When I run my KV85 with the heavy Taigen metal lower, it can be dangerous how it rolls on after letting go of the throttle! :-) My videos aren't as pretty as the great job the guy with the Panther did but should give you an idea of the crawl capability of the new Clarks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kuuVxH ... =DeanGodin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT2MBro ... =DeanGodin

P.S. I like the TV remote which lets me make changes on the fly to my tanks even outdoors on the battlefield. Also designed for electronic morons like me... :-)
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

I also like crawling at super slow speeds. Seing tanks drifting kills me, lol. No point in creating a super cool looking realistic model if it drives like a F1 car.

About barrel stabilization: Get a 5 eur free shipping gyro and fit it. I have barrel estabilization in my T55 that way.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

dgsselkirk, nice videos. Love how the tracks drape realistically over the return rollers on Ivan.
My Tk-40s didn’t have a momentum option. Neither does my TK-80 G2. When did they start having momentum?
Rad, that sounds like an interest idea for GBS. Pure genius. When I did run my Leopard I didn’t really use the GBS but it was nice knowing it was available.
dgsselkirk

Post by dgsselkirk »

all of the Clark boards have it since the TK22's. On the remote it is the far left second from the bottom SLEEP (0x36) or a clock symbol. 2 flashes to turn it on or 1 to turn it off in programming mode...
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov

Return to “General Discussion”