Control board options??

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Hoover
Recruit

Control board options??

Post by Hoover »

I’m building the T35 and I’m getting to the stage of working out the electronics required.
Is there an alternative to the Clark boards, ie a cheaper option? I did read somewhere that you can use a single board computer?
Any advice welcomed

Cheers
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Control board options??

Post by tankme »

For me I wouldn't have enough information to recommend something. Are you looking to battle this tank or just drive it around? Are you trying to control the multiple turrets or just the main turret? If you are looking for a whole host of features then it gets more expensive (IBU or Elmod). If you are looking for basic features then it gets cheaper (Heng Long TK6.0/6.1 or Haya 2.4G system TK6.4 MFU). The last two options have to use their own transmitters which will add an additional cost. There used to be a really basic MFU on eBay, but I can't seem to find it anymore.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Hoover
Recruit

Post by Hoover »

Sorry, not battle . I want to control multiple turrets, have various sounds not just motor and gun. Smoke generator and recoil on main gun.
Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

So you will need at least:
- 5 turret rotation units / motors
- 5 elevation units
- 3 recoil units
That a lot of channels / servos ;)
Hoover
Recruit

Post by Hoover »

Ok lol I may just have a few turrets to start with, but really need to plan what I put inside so looking for options
Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

Did you build any tank before? What board did you use? T-35 is a BIG project and without any experience you will end with money wasted and frustration ;)
Hoover
Recruit

Post by Hoover »

Nope , first tank as I brought my 3D printer for this project. Yes. I know it’s a big project but broken down into bite size portions should be doable. Oh and I’ve the Hetzer waiting in the wings lol.
I’ve loved tanks as far back as can remember and the opportunity to print one was , well irresistible lol.
So as my first build. What do I need?
Quite good with computers/tech but need direction
Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

If you are good in tech maybe try someting like Arduino? But electronics will be ussless if without tank with proper suspension, tracks and gearbox and motors. First build the working chassis, electronics later.

And in case of inspiration of build check T-35 by forum member ilgar ismailov
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=26950
tankme

Post by tankme »

It will be a project alright. Personally I would start with the Hetzer and then do the T-35. I've done a bit of scratch building tanks and it can sometimes be frustrating when you get to a problem that becomes a real pain in the rear. Tends to be a lot of stops and starts on the project. Sometimes a simpler project will build your knowledge and confidence enough that it will prepare you for the T-35 build.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Hoover
Recruit

Post by Hoover »

I’ll finish printing the T35 first, then I’ll start with the Hetzer and build that with radio etc.. but would really like to get my head around the options available especially with the SBC’s

Return to “General Discussion”