British Armour Insignia-1944

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
43rdRecceReg
Major

British Armour Insignia-1944

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I'm thinking of creating faux identities for my Cromwell and Comet tanks, when I've finally managed to make the Comet mobile. Divisional Reconnaissance Units often had some tanks attached to the unit; but armoured cars and Bren/Universal carriers were what squadrons used, in the main, to locate and assault enemy positions (or locate- and beat a hasty withdrawal from- especially Panther and Tiger equipped units 8O )
I found this useful brief, but downloadable, guide to brigade markings here:
https://harryleith.files.wordpress.com/ ... ngs_v1.pdf
The doc was created by Harry Leith, to give him his due.
Do download the PDF, especially if you're thinking of building, or are building, a 1/16 scale British tank (Yes, such folk do exist. ;)
Here's a couple of extracts from the pdf:
I'm particularly interested in the Armoured Reconnaissance Regiment insignia. In fact, I'd like to create one with '43' and with the appropriate blue and green background. That, I think I can manage from some markings I already have for the Firefly. They were supplied by Dean.
What I'd really like, however, is to be able to reproduce the Divisional symbol- the Wyvern (Wessex) you see on the Bren Carrier, below. This Carrier lives at Bovington, which is not only home to the Royal Armoured Corps (to which all Recce Regiments ultimately belonged)- but also, in effect, the Wessex Division. I took the pic on an afternoon visit there, in 2016. I only wish I could have stayed longer... ;)
Whilst this is being posted as a 'general discussion' topic, because it draws attention to a useful file- I'd also like a to add a question. Has anyone a good idea about how the Wyvern symbol might be reproduced in 1/16 scale? As a transfer, that is?. I could try painting it, or making a stencil- but printing a decal would be ideal. :D
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: British Armour Insignia-1944

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

This is fantastic. Thank you very much young man :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
C.Ellis
Private

Post by C.Ellis »

That is a great resource, I'm going to save that PDF for later.
In regards to your question, have you considered printing your own decals? If you have a home printer, you can print a design onto decal paper. I found this graphic of the Wyvern insignia, which you could use or make your own design.

a good tutorial to follow would be this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXARPWE7iH4
I hope this helps, Good luck.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

C.Ellis wrote:That is a great resource, I'm going to save that PDF for later.
In regards to your question, have you considered printing your own decals? If you have a home printer, you can print a design onto decal paper. I found this graphic of the Wyvern insignia, which you could use or make your own design.

a good tutorial to follow would be this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXARPWE7iH4
I hope this helps, Good luck.
Well, thanks to you, in turn- and to Mick, of course. No, I'd never heard of decal paper/sheets although I suspected there might be a niche product out there.
Yes, I have a good printer, and so I shall go in search of the right media for it.
Meantime, thanks for the Wyvern! It will make a great starting point. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

It is very easy to get good results using Decal Paper as long as you don't need to print White onto the sheet as white ink is almost impossible to find (I now wait to be proved wrong :haha: )
You will need a Dot Matrix Printer,
An EPSON STYLUS C66 is cheap and will work just fine wired to your PC or using Wi-Fi and the ink cartridges are readily available.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:It is very easy to get good results using Decal Paper as long as you don't need to print White onto the sheet as white ink is almost impossible to find (I now wait to be proved wrong :haha: )
You will need a Dot Matrix Printer,
An EPSON STYLUS C66 is cheap and will work just fine wired to your PC or using Wi-Fi and the ink cartridges are readily available.
Dot Matrix printers, Shaun- wren't they used by the Romans? I have a Canon Inkjet printer that can cope with all manner of media, and also prints in high quality. It appears, however, that a decent lacquer
is also needed to 'fix' the images on the water- slide paper, after they are printed. I need a good acrylic lacquer anyway, so I'll have to find the best out there. Gary always used to recommend Testor's Clear
Lacquer, but it doesn't appear to be available in the UK. :| Any other candidates, preferably ones that can also be used upon acrylic paint jobs- (without going cloudy :) )
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Don't knock old tech it still has its uses,
As to sealing my Decal paper I use "PlastiKote Clear sealer Matt". :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Thanks for the PDF, really usefull. I am creating some of my paint masks for a friend who has a firefly, and I was completely lost with british tanks.

EDIT: Maybe you can upload it in the downloads section.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Thanks for the PDF, really usefull. I am creating some of my paint masks for a friend who has a firefly, and I was completely lost with british tanks.

EDIT: Maybe you can upload it in the downloads section.
Following your suggestion, Rad, I've uploaded the file to 'Downloads- Images/Artwork', and credited the author there. :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Quite by chance, when surfing, I came across this interesting video. It involves applying full size decals to, of all things, an A34 Comet. :) Really, it's about using stencils, and masks- but it led to a website that might be of interest, as it seems to offer custom decals- especially US stars for vehicles. Whether they scale them down to 1/16, or 1/6, remains uncertain. Nonetheless, I thought it worth a mention.
https://armyvehiclemarking.com/webshop/ ... ory/stars/
https://armyvehiclemarking.com/webshop/ ... ct-wishes/
phpBB [video]

It's also nice to hear the now sadly, and recently, departed Dame Vera Lynn singing the optimistic: "When the Lights go on again". These days, that'll be, I guess, when this damned virus gets the old heave ho. >:<

Return to “General Discussion”