How about a Tiger 1 Of The Month? Now September 1st.

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
john1970
Corporal

Re: How about a Tiger 1 Of The Month?

Post by john1970 »

You could do a one off tiger 1 tank of the month the same month as tankfest run along side the normal tank of the month so those that dont have a tiger can enter the normal competition if they wish to.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

john1970 wrote:You could do a one off tiger 1 tank of the month the same month as tankfest run along side the normal tank of the month so those that dont have a tiger can enter the normal competition if they wish to.
Oooh, now there's an idea. What date is the Tank-Fest?
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

september 11-13 i think just google it and some info is cancel other says postponed?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

11th to 13th of September :thumbup:

Well, if it is cancelled, we can have our own :thumbup:

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

As long as it's over by 327th September because l'm not going on holiday then. ;)
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

sorry just found this says cancelled
https://tankmuseum.org/tank-nuts/news-a ... statement/
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

And while we're on the subject of the TOTM.

Don't forget it's this month's voting time, and I know our five generous submitters would really appreciate it.

July TOTM Submission now voting thread. - RC Tank Warfare
viewtopic.php?f=203&t=30080

Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Okay Mick, if you absolutely insist, try this, keep everything the way it is, but as an incentive to bring the Tigers out of the closets, once a year put up all the different tiger tanks that posted on every tank of the month competition for the previous year and let us vote on what was the tiger of the year. That way our monthly totm stays pretty much the same and we can enter whatever we want to, and once a year you'll get to play with all the tigers that have been posted during that year.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Hmmm. I'm a little against it.

1. Why don't Tiggers tend to win? Maybe it's because they have been done so many times. There is limited challenge to find and build a Tiger with some good parts. The challenge of a special Tiger appears to be to have special/rare features and a good paint job, which is beyond my modest skills. But I still love Tigers - they're the hamburger in a sea of specialty takeaway food.

2. Having another category so everybody gets a prize defeats the purpose. Its a symptom of the modern times where for example, no child learns accept what it is to be ordinary. Everybody has been letting them know they are all special, all winners, all beautiful. Then when they get out in the real adult world, guess what? They have to learn a truth that has now become bitter to swallow - you are ordinary at best, perhaps ugly, not a prince or princess.

I noticed a new member enter a very nicely painted, non-Axis tank in the TOTM and was disappointed when they got one or two votes. I felt for him, but the fact is it wasn't anywhere near as good or as specially constructed as the winners we see every month. That's the nature of the competition and it discourages entries - I've never considered that any of my builds will be worthy of entry. I like a bit of praise when I put in some effort to do something I didn't buy off the shelf. But my tanks aren't special, in fact most of the tanks bought from shops don't get made into award winners.

Almost every month Louis (lcmq11) designs, sources and builds something good enough to win. Rather than us all give up, I'd like to think his build posts show us it is possible to do something extra to make our tanks better and more interesting, using simple tools and materials.

Lets keep TOTM special.

(*Edited several time because what I wrote in the wee small hours had some gibberish.)
Last edited by Estnische on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Perhaps as a departure from the norm, we could have a 'Worst Tiger of the Month', or a general 'Tank fail of the Month' just once in the year. This will expose well- intentioned, but calamitous upgrades, paint jobs, and other sundry disasters. I'm sure we've all got regrets, and projects we'd prefer to forget... :eh: :lolno:
Christmas time would seem ripe for the Golden Turkey Tank of the year competition. :)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “General Discussion”