When to use Tamiya cement vs synthetic rubber cement?

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Haru
Recruit

When to use Tamiya cement vs synthetic rubber cement?

Post by Haru »

Currently just got started building my Tamiya 1/35 jgsdf type 10 tank but I'm confused as to when to use cement and synthetic rubber cement. What is synthetic rubber cement? When I tried searching online, I got tons of mixed answers. I've looked over the build instruction but don't see any indicators for when to apply adhesives. I only see indicators for when to use grease, paint, and when to not use cement.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: When to use Tamiya cement vs synthetic rubber cement?

Post by jarndice »

Hi, The Synthetic Rubber Cement is to glue the track pads on,
Many years ago I built a Tamiya Chieftain and discovered that there was a failsafe way of finding where the Tank was,
All I had to do was to follow the discarded track pads :lolno: The glue was cr*p,
I think it was "Jimster" or perhaps "Barry C"who highlighted a better alternative.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

jarndice wrote:Hi, The Synthetic Rubber Cement is to glue the track pads on,
Many years ago I built a Tamiya Chieftain and discovered that there was a failsafe way of finding where the Tank was,
All I had to do was to follow the discarded track pads :lolno: The glue was cr*p,
I think it was "Jimster" or perhaps "Barry C"who highlighted a better alternative.
Sorry, I can't take credit for this one maybe "Jimster"!

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I must be getting old because I really can’t remember. :wtf:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Synthetic rubber glue, on 1/16 scale Tamiya models, is used to assemble the MG components, and to bond the unit into the glacis plate. It's rarely used elsewhere. On 1/35 models, it's used to bond the tracks together, in the main, and perhaps in places where it may be necessary to remove a part in future- for maintenance, or repair. The bond is, thus, fairly flexible compared with cement. Cement is used to form a permanent plastic weld.
I use this rubber adhesive product:
Fevibond synthetic rubber adhesive
Fevibond synthetic rubber adhesive
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Haru
Recruit

Post by Haru »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Synthetic rubber glue, on 1/16 scale Tamiya models, is used to assemble the MG components, and to bond the unit into the glacis plate. It's rarely used elsewhere. On 1/35 models, it's used to bond the tracks together, in the main, and perhaps in places where it may be necessary to remove a part in future- for maintenance, or repair. The bond is, thus, fairly flexible compared with cement. Cement is used to form a permanent plastic weld.
Fevibond synthetic rubber adhesive.jpeg
With that in mind, do I apply the adhesives whenever I can as I'm building the tank?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Haru wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:Synthetic rubber glue, on 1/16 scale Tamiya models, is used to assemble the MG components, and to bond the unit into the glacis plate. It's rarely used elsewhere. On 1/35 models, it's used to bond the tracks together, in the main, and perhaps in places where it may be necessary to remove a part in future- for maintenance, or repair. The bond is, thus, fairly flexible compared with cement. Cement is used to form a permanent plastic weld.
Fevibond synthetic rubber adhesive.jpeg
With that in mind, do I apply the adhesives whenever I can as I'm building the tank?
Look at it this way; if you need to bond plastic to plastic (ABS to ABS or Styrene to Styrene) use plastic cement. This will probably apply to a large percentage of the model. Elsewhere, specific non-plastic parts may require super glue or epoxy, and the rubber glue (fitting tyres on wheels, for example).
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “General Discussion”