Rare pic of WW2 model Elefant/Ferdinand

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Rare pic of WW2 model Elefant/Ferdinand

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I just wanted to post this pic, because it's really seldom that I've seen photos of tank models actually made during WW2. :) This Ferdinand/elefant looks to be in something like 1/16 scale, with what must have been impressive-looking detail. That can be seen, even though the pic is, sadly, pretty grainy. :)
Ferdinand model made in WW2
Ferdinand model made in WW2
I can't remember where I screenshot this pic, but sometime ago, I saw another pic of some German generals looking at maquettes, or engineers' models, of prospective tanks- again, in something like 1/16th scale. For the life of me, I can't remember where that was, and it never occurred to me, at the time, to screenshoot the pic. If any members have photos of models made during the war, please feel free to post them here. :thumbup: :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Rare pic of WW2 model Elefant/Ferdinand

Post by jarndice »

In the pre-cad/cam days of WW2 the rightly worldwide acclaimed toymakers of Germany were in great demand by German industry to convert into solid and 3D the engineering drawings that were being produced, most of these were parts and had little distribution outside the factory but complete models were sometimes used as presentation pieces if the product was off the secret list.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

I remember seeing a couple of these ww2 engineer models on the TV show 'combat dealers' not sure which series or episode though, if I remember rightly the guy had a couple of them and Bruce crompton bought one, it cost a pretty penny though Roy :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

And as I'm sure you can understand, those Engineers models have become highly collectible and extremely valuable. The tank that he's holding in that photo would probably bring at least $10,000 minimum on the open market today and could possibly sell for many times that much. And you guys thought I would never learn anything from watching Antiques Roadshow. 8)

Good find, Roy, and thanks for sharing. :thumbup:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

As for scale, we're all used to seeing scales in fractions, is there a different system when you use the metric system? I'm sure one of you guys can Enlighten an ignorant old man.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that 1/32 scale is equal to 54 mm scale, but I don't understand what the 54 mm means. Is that 54 mm compared to 1 M, or what?
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Now that I think about it, I recall that 1/16 is equal to 120 mm. Can anyone explain the hundred and twenty mm to me, what is that in reference to?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

PBS America has a channel available on the SKY System and it used to show the American "Antiques Roadshow" unfortunately it has been many years since PBS has shown it on SKY,
The BBC who own the copyright of the "Antiques Roadshow" format broadcasts the British version every Sunday and Arms and Militaria as well as "Toys" are often seen but apart from the odd silver Aircraft Desk ornament I have yet to see anything like the Elefant /Ferdinand so the price or more interesting any history of the object's are unknown to us.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Max-U52 wrote:Now that I think about it, I recall that 1/16 is equal to 120 mm. Can anyone explain the hundred and twenty mm to me, what is that in reference to?

MM = Millimetres
CM = Centimetres
M = Metres
Km = Kilometre

10 mm = one cm
100 CM = one metre
1,000 M = one Kilometre

2mm = 1/16 inch ish
2.5 CM = 1 inch
1 Metre = 3 feet 3 inches

100 mm + 20mm = 120mm
100 mm = 10 cm
20mm = 2 cm
10cm + 2 cm = 12 cm
12 CM = 4 inches.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Very cool find Roy! I do remember seeing a couple of American wooden models of panzer IV's made for reference during the war, bit low detail and simply for tank recognition. Nothing like this though :wave: All it needs is an IBU or Clark... :crazy:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I used to make/collect Napoleonic figures. The main scale was always referred to as 54mm. It was supposed to be the height of the figure without any head covering. If you took the scale to be 1/32, this would give you a height of 1.73m or just over 5ft 8 inches, about right for the period. 120mm is the usual stated size on Verlinden figures. This really equate to 1/15 scale and a reasonably tall one, equating to 1.80m or 5ft 11 inches. If you take it a 1/16 the figure would be 1.92m or 6ft 3 and a hallf inches.

I hope that helps.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D

Return to “General Discussion”