Rare pic of WW2 model Elefant/Ferdinand

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Rare pic of WW2 model Elefant/Ferdinand

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks for chipping in, lads. I'm still looking for the elusive pic of tank models being inspected by German top brass ( I think one was of the Tiger 1) but, in looking, I chanced upon this wooden prototype of the VK3002 by Daimler-Benz(BD). It looks as if a model of the T34 has rolled, by accident onto the drawing board, displacing the model By MAN that actually won the design competition. :D

Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

jarndice wrote:
Max-U52 wrote:Now that I think about it, I recall that 1/16 is equal to 120 mm. Can anyone explain the hundred and twenty mm to me, what is that in reference to?

MM = Millimetres
CM = Centimetres
M = Metres
Km = Kilometre

10 mm = one cm
100 CM = one metre
1,000 M = one Kilometre

2mm = 1/16 inch ish
2.5 CM = 1 inch
1 Metre = 3 feet 3 inches

100 mm + 20mm = 120mm
100 mm = 10 cm
20mm = 2 cm
10cm + 2 cm = 12 cm
12 CM = 4 inches.
Now tell me something I don't know, smart aleck.

And 12 CM is 4.72 in, closer to 5 in than 4.
Last edited by Max-U52 on Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

silversurfer1947 wrote:I used to make/collect Napoleonic figures. The main scale was always referred to as 54mm. It was supposed to be the height of the figure without any head covering. If you took the scale to be 1/32, this would give you a height of 1.73m or just over 5ft 8 inches, about right for the period. 120mm is the usual stated size on Verlinden figures. This really equate to 1/15 scale and a reasonably tall one, equating to 1.80m or 5ft 11 inches. If you take it a 1/16 the figure would be 1.92m or 6ft 3 and a hallf inches.

I hope that helps.
Thank you. So if I understand this right, it's just the height of the figure with no hat? It doesn't really have anything to do with scale, it's just the actual size of the toy figure?
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Max-U52 wrote:As for scale, we're all used to seeing scales in fractions, is there a different system when you use the metric system? I'm sure one of you guys can Enlighten an ignorant old man.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that 1/32 scale is equal to 54 mm scale, but I don't understand what the 54 mm means. Is that 54 mm compared to 1 M, or what?
Sadly some people wrongly say 54mm is 1/32nd scale, when 1/32nd scale is nearer 58mm. When scale is mentioned in millimetres, it's the height of a 6 foot tall figure. This started with war gaming figures, they'd game with different sized figures, from 1/4 inch up to 2 1/8 inch (54mm), it's just the metric equivalent to the old imperial figure sizes. And a 1/32nd figure is 2 1/4 inches tall.
As for bigger figures, they kept that war gaming theme by giving the figures a height, hence 120mm figures, but 120mm figures are nearer 1/15th scale, they are NOT 1/16th scale. 1/16 scale are 114.3mm (4 1/2 inch).
As for metric to English.
1 inch is 25.4mm and 120mm is NOT 4 inches Shaun, 4 inches is four times 25.4mm, which is 101.6mm.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Give me a break, Its Sunday afternoon after a heavy lunch followed by celebrating what men sometimes get right, In my case twice, So its doubles all round. :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Thanks, Mick, I get it now. :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I'd hoped to find decent pics of tank maquettes, or engineer's models, from WW2, with a view to replicating them. The Daimler-Benz Panther prototype would make a unique 21st C model in 1/16. I might try find the time to learn enough CAD to make use of the 3-D printer that's been languishing in a cupboard for 3 years. :shh: :shh: :wtf:
Music-making would have to take a back burner, for a while, to make room for that. There's never enough time for all things. :/
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Pity this craftsman doesn't do WW2 era tank prototypes .
http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-0 ... 6801_6.htm :)

Meantime, I'm still hunting for maquettes made in the War years... 8|
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I found a pic of this wooden mock-up of the proposed Skoda T-25. had it been built, it would have looked like this:

Both pics are from the tanks-encyclopedia.com ... one of the best tank sites out there.
This would make an interesting build project, perhaps using the T-34 as a donor.

Return to “General Discussion”