Tamiya is discontinnuing a lot of their tanks.

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Tamiya is discontinnuing a lot of their tanks.

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Yep, I am surprised nobody commented that here so far, but I have seen several topics in german forums discussing that Tamiya seems to be cutting the tank production. Or at least most of it.

You all know I am not a Tamiya fanayic, even when I owe some kits, but I will feel the loss if it ends like that.

As proofs of the disaster we have the website of tamiya germany: https://www.tamiya.de/en/products/rc-models/rc-tanks/ Where you can see most of the tanks are gone
We have tamiya usa website, https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/radio-control/tanks/ more or less the same, what is not gone, is out of stock.
And also some traditional german sellers like axels modellbau https://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/kat ... anks-1-16/ manifesting the same issues.

I hope tamiya is just going to update their kits fixing their flaws and introducing new electronics, like they did in the past. But some voices say they are gone forever because they cannot cope with the competence.

What do you think?
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Tamiya is discontinnuing a lot of their tanks.

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Is it just me or is it largely German armour that seems to be going.
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Exhibitedbrute wrote:Is it just me or is it largely German armour that seems to be going.
Some german armor is gone, KV1/KV2 are gone, even the sherman is gone...
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I've heard it said that the tanks were always just a pet project of the senior Mister Tamiya. I think we all knew that when he passes the company will quickly lose interest in RC tanks.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Market forces again! If they are withdrawing models then it must be that the line is not profitable - that is, not selling. We only have ourselves to blame then... Or are the Tamiya models simply overpriced so we cannot afford to buy them?

In the scale of things, this is the last of our worries. I have just been reading Google news and it appears that the human race is about to journey into the planet's next extinction phase so we better get busy on our model back collections!
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
tankme

Post by tankme »

The only new one I see is the Sherman 105 kit being discontinued. The full option Jagdpanther was discontinued last year along with the KV-2. The static Jagdpanther and the KV-1 full option are not showing discontinued as far as I can see. There may be a shortage of kits due to Covid.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:
Exhibitedbrute wrote:Is it just me or is it largely German armour that seems to be going.
This may upset some people but those it will bare in mind this is an opinion of one person who has only used Tamiya parts to cut up.

Tamiya only really have them selves to blame they are still pricing and building these things as though they are the only ones on the market how ever over the years the likes of Torro and Heng long have improved a lot over the last 5 years I have been in this hobby where as a 30 year old Tamiya doesn’t look any different from a upto date one.

I look at some of the leopard 2 that you guys build and I honestly can’t see any differences between its internal workings than I can in the leopard one my dad is restoring.

Granted if it’s not broke don’t fix it. But don’t keep prices that high if there are cheaper and in some cases better models out there
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Tamiya reminds me of BSA Motorcycles and Kodak.
They knew that as market leaders that they would be able to charge high prices for their product in perpetuity only to be overtaken by market forces such as the non oil leaking electric starting 4 cylinder across the frame RELIABLE and AFFORDABLE Honda 750 or the Digital Camera.
Tempus Fugit.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

It could simply be that the factory is not producing any models at the moment, because of a nasty critter called Covid. Many factories around the globe have ground to a halt. Some permanently, maybe. :problem:
On the Tamiya Europe site, the Panzer IV and Sherman (all variants) are no longer listed. Whatever the outcome, I'm glad I built my Pz IV (Ausf J) when I did... :think: :|
Overpriced- certainly, but offered with unmatched precision parts, class-leading accuracy, and model detail.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Exhibitedbrute wrote:
Rad_Schuhart wrote:
This may upset some people but those it will bare in mind this is an opinion of one person who has only used Tamiya parts to cut up.

Tamiya only really have them selves to blame they are still pricing and building these things as though they are the only ones on the market how ever over the years the likes of Torro and Heng long have improved a lot over the last 5 years I have been in this hobby where as a 30 year old Tamiya doesn’t look any different from a upto date one.

I look at some of the leopard 2 that you guys build and I honestly can’t see any differences between its internal workings than I can in the leopard one my dad is restoring.

Granted if it’s not broke don’t fix it. But don’t keep prices that high if there are cheaper and in some cases better models out there
If you can't see the difference then you should probably go see an optician

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”