Tamiya is discontinnuing a lot of their tanks.

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Tamiya is discontinnuing a lot of their tanks.

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Mr rad i think after a morning of everything being wrong it would seem my temper may be a little fragile.
So your right

Not to Jack your thread but as your here I will have another order for you sometime soon.
I will email you the details once I make a decision on what I am going to do with it
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Exhibitedbrute wrote:Mr rad i think after a morning of everything being wrong it would seem my temper may be a little fragile.
So your right

Not to Jack your thread but as your here I will have another order for you sometime soon.
I will email you the details once I make a decision on what I am going to do with it
Sure, you know where to find me, lol.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
I want one of the Tamiya Shermans ( even if just to get the Lower for an Easy 8 build one day ) I should have bought one some time ago when they were still in the 500.00 range. ( The newer ones with the turret functions ) Thanks for the thread, Rad. It made me go look and compare prices and I was amazed by what the Museum Shop here in the US wanted for them. The only other lower like that ( that I am aware of ) is the Hooben offering and I have not heard a lot of good about that tank.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Muncheberg
Recruit

Post by Muncheberg »

I wonder if Tamiya plan to re-release some of their now discontinued WWII tank kits, at some point in the future, with newer electronics, like they use in the new Centurion kit? Only the two Tigers are still in production..
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Hello,
Tamiya will not do that - the demand is simply too low.
For example, 5,000 of the Sheridan were produced, over half of which are still in stock
What they still offer comes from stock and is not specially manufactured.
The Centurion was created at the special request of the owner.
He pushed it through against the management....
Last edited by jhamm on Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

jhamm wrote:Hello,
Tamiya will not do that - the demand is simply too low.
What they still offer comes from stock and is not specially manufactured.
The Centurion was created at the special request of the owner.
He pushed it through against the management....
Source for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

tomhugill wrote:]Source for that?
Uninteresting - take it as it is!
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Doublepost...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I've just had a look at Tamiya dealerships for the UK. The Hobby Company- hobbyco.net is listed as the main dealer for the UK, and yet none of the links for it work. Has the company gone out of business?
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

The rumor I heard was that the injection molds for some of the tanks got lost transitioning from the Chinese manufacturing facility back to Japan. I don't remember where I heard it so I can't verify its validity.

Tamiya has discontinued various versions of the Sherman and Tiger over the years only to bring them back later with different features or different electronics. Tamiya 1/16 tanks are still expensive to most people. I can see why it takes a long time to sell out a run of a tank especially a tank no one asked for like the Sheridan. I think it's a cool tank, but it would've been the last tank I would've ever said hey build this one. To go along with that the tracks on the Sheridan are known to break. Nothing like putting a subpar component on a new tank and cut costs by eliminating stuff like rubber wheels to halt the sales to the dedicated tankers. British tanks are under represented in the hobby so I see the Centurion being a better seller as it was and even still is used in so many countries. I considered the Tamiya JS-2, but for $1200 and the fact I hate the Tamiya electronics I bought a Taigen JS-2 for less than half that number and I will still swap out the electronics. Even if I sold the Tamiya electronics for $300, that still puts the Taigen tank at $300 cheaper than going with the Tamiya. I'm not sure why Tamiya has stuck with that 4-channel mentality for so long. Yes, that is changing and maybe that is why they are discontinuing most of their tanks so that they can release new electronics that don't need that stupid 4 channel radio.

At this point, the only people that know the answers are Tamiya and they aren't saying much. They have said they aren't abandoning 1/16 scale tanks.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “General Discussion”