Hiding in plain sight...

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Hiding in plain sight...

Post by Max-U52 »

This might inspire some late night youube searches. Tommy plays every guitar on this album, and brought in people like Jan Hammer and Phil Collins to help with the rest.

phpBB [video]

Nikki Sixx likes him so much they did a cover of the title song from this album. At the end of this song, where he plays lead against himself ... well, it's always been a favorite of mine

Do you ever howl at the moon in the Highlands? 8)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Knopfler's Live Road Running is like a matured fine wine. Makes me smile and tap my feet every time.

phpBB [video]
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

While we're this far off topic, what about our old vinyl collections? There's nothing quite so gorgeously mellow as great music played on analogue systems. You have to hear both back to back to appreciate what you are missing in digital. But beware new vinyl releases which have been digitally recorded or remastered (ruined).

And, of course, there is nothing more beautiful than a top class transcription deck. Quality peaked in the '70s but if you didn't keep your original then they still pop up on eBay at reasonable prices. Modern usb turntables just defeat the object. Is anyone else here hopelessly addicted to such nonsense?
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I still have my Bert Jansch, John Rembourne and Pentangle vinyl recordings. Haven't listened to them for ages. Took me back over 50 years to my university days. I can remember repeatedly listening to Running From Home till I got the chords and fingering. I have still got most of the words in my head.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

So, in a nutshell, you've worn them out!! If you still have a deck, find them, wash them and play them ;)

When l was at design college late sixties / early seventies l focused on automotive design and audio design. That way l always had a hifi system next to my desk and drawing board. So far as l'm aware, l was one of the first individuals that had a quadraphonic system which l designed and built using a prototype SQ surround card which Sir Clive Sinclair gave me for my final year project - what a guy! And if course l had to test what l was working on, out of the window across the Medway, 200 watts RMS in those days was massive! The nearby hospital did suffer though.

Like QS, neither really took off but the good news is that some 60 years later you can play stereo vinyl in full 7.1 surround using Dolby surround software on a good configurable Yamaha system. Yeah, l know it's digital but those guys at Yamaha UK are really approachable and really know about music.

Edit: l never thought of applying cammo though!
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I shall have to tell myself off for hi-jacking a thread. I still have my deck, a Technics quartz, vintage 1978 with an Ortofon mc stylus , power come from a Rogers Ravensbourne, vintage 1974.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

silversurfer1947 wrote:I still have my Bert Jansch, John Rembourne and Pentangle vinyl recordings. Haven't listened to them for ages. Took me back over 50 years to my university days. I can remember repeatedly listening to Running From Home till I got the chords and fingering. I have still got most of the words in my head.
:clap: :clap: I taught myself to play all of those by slowing the records down, Richard. Fifty years on, I can still play 'Courting blues'', Angie' and the rest. A few days ago, I found this guy offering his own insight into Bert's magical creations. It's gratifying to note that despite being from different backgrounds and countries, we came to the same musical conclusions (note for note). He also sings quite well for a Frenchman :D :
phpBB [video]

Nothing beats the original, though, although I do a decent version myself. :D
I played in a few folk clubs over the years(like Jessie's in Liverpool, for example), and used to know June Tabor well- she was a colleague for several years.
There's little to equal the depth and diversity of music from the 1960s in this modern world, sadly. :/
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:This might inspire some late night youube searches. Tommy plays every guitar on this album, and brought in people like Jan Hammer and Phil Collins to help with the rest.

phpBB [video]

Nikki Sixx likes him so much they did a cover of the title song from this album. At the end of this song, where he plays lead against himself ... well, it's always been a favorite of mine

Do you ever howl at the moon in the Highlands? 8)
Nice, Gary but I'd put these expressive solos in any top ten:
'Samba pa Ti', by Carlos Santana (I saw him play that live at the Bath festival- a forerunner of Glastonbury- in 1970
'Parisienne Walkways'- by Gary Moore
and 'Alice in Blunderland', Captain Beefheart (a wild solo by Winged Eel Fingerling- in latter half of song..)
phpBB [video]
It takes a while to wind up then he does amazing things (real name Eliot Ingber)

oh, yes, and thank Estniche and GenJ for the added impetus to deviate.. :D :wave: GenJ, I've been a big fan of Handel's Organ Concertos for many years!!. Great to unwind with, after a thoughtful slurp!
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Returning to the disguise theme. I've often wondered why it is that the Germans went in for quite involved camo schemes for military vehicles, and for troops, after 1943 ? :think: Plain old Dunkelgrau, followed by Dunkelgelb, no longer seemed sufficient. Meanwhile the allies barely moved beyond variations on an Olive-Drab theme. Plane-wise, the Yanks didn't even bother painting the Mustang at all. :eh:
I read somewhere that when you're winning a war, you don't need to bother with camouflage. After 1943, the Germans were definitely losing it, and increasing allied air superiority meant that their ground vehicles were under a much great threat than in the Blitzkrieg days. :think:
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Roy, I am particularly fond of Germans. They kept my father and his family alive towards the end of the war. I also have a liking for their beer, food, thunderous football players and motor vehicles. However, when it comes to overthinking things, and turning that into a weakness, they are sometimes frustrating.

BMW have been manufacturing shaft drive motorcycles since Adam was a boy, but through poor choices in the mid-2000s their final drives turned to shit. Similarly, they decided to mount the rear brake disc on a spider made of aluminium, to save a few precious grams of unsprung weight. After they all fatigued cracked, they had to do a recall, but only after many owners had replaced them with steel ones anyway. Also, the fuel tanks were made of plastic to lower the centre of gravity - they too cracked and leaked fuel in proximity to the battery terminals.

VW 2.0 TSI owners will tell you similar tales about plastic timing chain tensioners, plastic inlet manifolds that fail after rocker cover gaskets leak oil onto them and expensive 'dry' DSG gearbox failures.

Wonderful ideas badly executed - arrggggghhhhh!

Return to “General Discussion”