Planning next purchase - which to buy

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
BlueWotsit57
Private

Planning next purchase - which to buy

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

Now the painting of my Heng Long Sherman is nearly finished, I am giving thought to what my next project will be. Beyond weathering a tank I do not want to be changing lots of things over myself, or giving it a full repaint job.

The Heng Long has the latest v6.0 board and has both IR battle and BB shooting.

Ideally the tank will be a Tiger 1 or one of the Panzers 111 or 4 I am thinking from what I have seen.

Tamiya is beyond my price range but Torro, Taigen etc would be fine.

I think whichever tank I go for MUST have IR battle compatibility with the Sherman. Here I am a bit confused as some people on forums have said Taigens IR system is not compatible with other makes, whereas some have said they are - as mentioned I do not want to be having to open the tank up to change circuitry.

With the Sherman being the basic version non metal, I think the next tank will be more metal based, at least for the suspension and tracks, and probably lower hull as a minimum.

So over to you guys for recommendations, and both any positive or negative comments on the tanks I am considering.
Heng Long Sherman, Heng Long Tiger 1.....and now a Tamiya Tiger 1.............more to come I am sure 8)
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Planning next purchase - which to buy

Post by tomhugill »

If you can afford a toro then you can afford a tamiya. A second hand one even more so! A torro won't be tamiya IR battle compatible without some add ons on, something to consider. Aside from that it'll come down to weather you want to have hvss or vvss suspension

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
BlueWotsit57
Private

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

From what I have seen Tamiyas are on average 50 percent more expensive according to the adverts around at the moment, and seem to be kits which I do not want though.

Bit reluctant to buy second hand as I always ask why is somebody selling the item, and of course if a fault develops I have no warranty to fall back on

Not researched the two suspensions you mentioned so don't know the answer to that
Heng Long Sherman, Heng Long Tiger 1.....and now a Tamiya Tiger 1.............more to come I am sure 8)
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Ditto what Tom says, if go for a second hand Tamiya over a new Taigen or Torro.

Doubtful you will have any issues, they are pretty bullet proof. Only a few bits wear out like in any tank.

Good luck with what ever you choose.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

As the other guy's have mentioned, a second hand tamiya is in the ball park price of a torro and every bit as good assuming you buy it already running and in good condition not just a fixer upper. I have 6 tamiya tanks all of which have been bought second hand and a few even came with some nice upgrades. I'm not saying that you'll never have to replace anything but as Adam already said that can occur with any brand of tank you go for, be bold and go for it :haha: :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
BlueWotsit57
Private

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

LOL thanks for the comments guys, trouble with finding a Tamiya is getting it from A to B as I am no longer driving and I bet packaging for couriers is a nightmare
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

I’ll do free postage on my Tiger ;)
BlueWotsit57
Private

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

I cannot deny I was tempted Ad Lav, but tiny bit beyond my top budget at the moment, as I have to find money now to get the front springs on my car replaced as one failed this afternoon to my total disgust - first time I had used it in 6 weeks too
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Not ideal timing, mind you with hobbies there never is a good time!
BlueWotsit57
Private

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

Very true indeed - don't suppose you would take a lot of 00 gauge trains in part exchange LOL

Return to “General Discussion”