Trying to decide is driving me mad.

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Trying to decide is driving me mad.

Post by Max-U52 »

But, if you decide you have to have the Big Boy, this video of Karl and Nancy is featured on the Taigen Tanks Home Page.

phpBB [video]

This was actually the very first Jagdtiger shipped in North America, something special the guys at Imex did for me.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

So fit s 360 turret ring and cable cylinder for around 20 quid, of buy one with these fitted. The options are almost infinite, but if your modelling skills or motivation to learn how are low then l guess you'll risk going down the pay, play and then retire it in the garage route. To be avoided.

If you can't decide, have another long chat with Dave at Forgebear and he'll sort you something out. He'll even build you special if you want.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I am sorry to hear that you are not prepared to settle for anything other than an RTR Tank because whether it is a Heng Long, Torro or Taigen Tank when I first take it out of the box my first feeling is not pleasure but without exception Disappointment,
Every one of them needs work to make them "Correct",
You are doing yourself no favours if you are serious about saving money if you are determined to buy RTR Tanks,
I usually buy a Metal Hull, An ABS Body and a metal Turret separately, Not all of these parts from the same maker, then I have a choice of electronics and gearboxes and after deciding which variant of the Tank I wish to build I make the modifications necessary,
The Tank major assemblies are individually cheap and often available from members of the Forum, or E-Bay, In the USA Eric at IMEX sells "Seconds" for very little money and in the UK Dave at http://www.forgebeartanks.com regularly sells damaged seconds for pennies,
The Damage is often what was once upon a time called "Shop Soiled",
Shop around and save loadsamoney.
There is no substitute to getting hands on with your Tank and learning its ins and outs,
If you put it together then when it fails and it will` you will know how to fix it.
Buying a 1/16 Tank is not of itself expensive what does cost money apart from needing a constant fix of yet another Tank is the investment in research material and tools both hand and power,
You will probably run out of space for your Tanks before running out of money :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Basin79
Recruit

Post by Basin79 »

Cheers @General Jumbo. I have conversed with Dave via email and he was tremendously helpful. Building me a special tank sounds unreal although no doubt worth every penny that would probably be out of my price range.

@Jarndice I do appreciate your reply but if I have to start messing too much the tank will end up against the wall. That's the reason I want a RTR. I just want a pay and play. Believe me if I had the mindset and patience I'd happy build my own. Alas that isn't for me.
cashybai
Lance Corporal

Post by cashybai »

I've got to say, adding your pitch on whatever tank you buy makes the hobby imho. Most of the factory paint jobs 'ain't all that' plus most models are a bit ambiguous to the rivet counters. Tigers are good, but dare I say it a bit numerous? Jagdpanthers are worth considering, as are panthers. TBH the Hengs are fine, once you've added loads of detailing extras they're upto taigen prices, and that's with all the bells and whistles added.
The addictions getting worse... Pantiger, WSN Tiger Mid, WSN T34....And now a Jagdpanther...HELP!!!
Basin79
Recruit

Post by Basin79 »

Thank you for all your replies. They've really helped me. I've decided to go with a Tiger off Dave at Forgebear. Aye they might be cliché but for me (who knows next to nothing about tanks) they're iconic and just look the part. And to be fair it really doesn't matter if they're 10 a penny in the hobby. It'll be the only 1 in my house, therefore unique.

Whilst I won't be messing too much I will be looking to add a few bits and bats and maybe even 1 day get round to doing a diorama.
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

The thing with RTR, especially from Hung Long, is that one quickly realises that they don’t run any good. And don’t worry one also soon realises that these tanks need some work. And then it begins...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

And so the addiction begins.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Basin79 wrote: And to be fair it really doesn't matter if they're 10 a penny in the hobby. It'll be the only 1 in my house,
:haha: :haha: :haha: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

jarndice wrote:
Basin79 wrote: And to be fair it really doesn't matter if they're 10 a penny in the hobby. It'll be the only 1 in my house,
:haha: :haha: :haha: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I thought that when I got my first Tiger 1, and like a Tribble, it multiplied, I have at least 5 Tiger 1's that are the only ones in my house :haha: :haha: :haha:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “General Discussion”