Trying to decide is driving me mad.

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
jstevens
Private

Re: Trying to decide is driving me mad.

Post by jstevens »

One thing to look at is how many modification are you thinking of if any at all, some tanks have far more accessories available. I must admit I have spent a fortune on my Leopard started as an henglong now very little of it left. Spent a small fortune on it and it looks like the Challenger is going the same way!
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

And for most of us, whatever the level we work to, that's what it's all about.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Basin79
Recruit

Post by Basin79 »

Paying for my Tiger Monday. So shouldn't be too long before I'm a tanker.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Congratulations! You’re going to love it.
Timbo68
Private

Post by Timbo68 »

It's an addictive hobby you are into! I started 6 months ago with a HL Tiger (which does have barrel recoil, BTW), as I wasn't prepared to spend too much to start with. Mine was an offer on the 'Pro' version with metal tracks and wheels (these have ball bearing races), and after a bit of light fettling, I upgraded to Taigen lower hull with torsion bars and gearboxes (thanks, Forgebear!) to which I fitted the HL running gear. This took a little work to fit, but it's great - no more metal though, as it's getting on for 6kg now. And that was to be the end of it.

But it wasn't - a T-72 followed, and then a Sherman. Surely it's time to stop! I have to say that I've been happy with HL. The assembly sometimes isn't great, but it's easily improved, and it's possible to start the hobby without a massive initial investment. There's masses of upgrade stuff available, especially for the Tiger 1.

Happy tanking!
Basin79
Recruit

Post by Basin79 »

Cheers. Dave at Forgebear tracked me down an early Taigen Tiger which is the model I really, really wanted. To be honest as I've already mentioned the only messing I'll be doing will be deco and maybe making dioramas for pics. I'm into photography so fingers crossed I can get something.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Basin79 wrote: So shouldn't be too long before I'm a tanker.
Nothing personal, but I airways make sure to refer to myself as an RC Tanker, never just a tanker. I think the brave men that actually climbed into those death traps and went to war deserve my utmost respect, and it just seems disrespectful to them to call myself a "tanker" when I'm really just playing with toys and have no first hand knowledge of what it means to belong to that elite class of men that have actually gone to war in the machines we mimic and play with. Again, nothing personal, it's just an opinion.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Thought you were going down the merchant banker route there Gary, or perhaps that one hasn’t crossed the pond yet lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Basin79
Recruit

Post by Basin79 »

Max-U52 wrote:
Basin79 wrote: So shouldn't be too long before I'm a tanker.
Nothing personal, but I airways make sure to refer to myself as an RC Tanker, never just a tanker. I think the brave men that actually climbed into those death traps and went to war deserve my utmost respect, and it just seems disrespectful to them to call myself a "tanker" when I'm really just playing with toys and have no first hand knowledge of what it means to belong to that elite class of men that have actually gone to war in the machines we mimic and play with. Again, nothing personal, it's just an opinion.
Twas more tongue in cheek. As in I'm a...........

I'd NEVER refer to myself as a tanker, rc tanker or rc driver or anything like that normally as that's not me. I own a camera and that doesn't make me a photographer. I'm just a bloke who takes pics. Just like I'll be a bloke that is controlling a rc tank.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I'm glad you understand, the last thing I wanted to do was insult or offend you. I do think it's fair for me to call myself an RC tanker and had you ever visited my house I think you would understand. RC tanks have pretty much taken over my entire life. I'm actually a machinist by trade, but given a choice I would spend every day as an RC tanker. I think it's the greatest hobby there is ( unless sex can be called a hobby), and I've met some really truly wonderful guys through this Hobby. It's taken me down roads I never imagined, 3D printing and several different aspects of photography. Like you, I'm no photographer but I do have a couple of decent cameras and I share your joy in producing an excellent still photo. And it always pleases me to welcome new people to the Hobby so I'm looking forward to your story and photos of your new tank when it arrives. I think you're going to truly enjoy this Hobby and it's always good to have someone else aboard that shares a love of photography. I'm far from an expert, but I've been in the RC tank hobby for seven or eight years now so if there's anything I can do to help you out, please don't hesitate to ask.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!

Return to “General Discussion”