1/6 ROC Hobby Willys MB 1941

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: 1/6 ROC Hobby Willys MB 1941

Post by midlife306 »

Isn’t it nice weather today....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Yes, l agree, my bad. I thought that my fellow forum members all possessed common sense so would only try this last resort trick in the safest of conditions but l shouldn't have assumed this to be the case. I overlooked nice, polite members like yourself.

BTW, it was a large lipo manufacturer that first published the trick some years ago after they found some of their older stock had dropped in voltage. They advised that provided you use a low trickle charge rate for no more than a few seconds at a time until your charger showed a milliamp or so being absorbed by the pack and that the pack was pouched and outdoors then it could be used. Health and safety eh? So much is grey area. Ask our Mr Cummings! Oh, that's UK topical.

However, just bin your duff packs, buy another and store them part charged, preferably not in the fire escape.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
General Jumbo01

midlife306 wrote:Isn’t it nice weather today....

Yes, sorry, it is here in the UK.
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

Please let’s keep it civil

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Well, as a moderator, I'm here to protect the forum, therefore any bad dangerous advice shouldn't be posted.

It's not just a case of people being stupid, we have children look in, some of which have a different language as their first tongue. Therefore they may miss all the following advice against doing such an irresponsible thing.

Therefore I shall edit the offending post. Because the last thing we need is someone stating on the world wide web that they got such advice on this forum.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
General Jumbo01

No probs. I was just trying to help another member out of a fix that's common practice in 1/10 car racing but didn't expect to be called a jerk! By all means delete all the posts from the mention of under voltage lipo to here and we can get back on topic. Thanks Gunner.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

So to get back on topic, one of our members wants to try this Jeep as a tow vehicle for a 1/6 scale P-38 and I believe the Jeep will do it, but he'll need the extra power of the 3S (BTW, in case you missed it in the videos, the manual says this Jeep can use 2S or 3S lipos, or 5 to 9 cell nihm batteries) and he'll also need a stronger tow hitch. The stock plastic hitch is very cool and functional, I just don't think it will have the strength to tow that heavy plane (I believe he said it's around 45 pounds). I also believe a very good set of bearings in the landing gear on the plane will help. I wouldn't be surprised if the gear currently has bushings. Those Flyboys are mainly concerned with speed in the air, so landing gear doesn't get the attention it always deserves. Kind of like I used to be with muscle cars ... Brakes? Do they make us go faster? Then we don't need them!!!! @) @)

And it will definitely need stronger springs to be used as a tow vehicle, but I'm sure many of us will be sourcing new springs for this thing so that shouldn't be a huge obstacle.

I am still wondering about that 6 volt cut-off for 2S, though. Does that seem low? What are the rest of you running your lipos down to? My LVAs are all set for 3.3 per cell, 6.6 total for 2S, and I haven't even started exploring 3S.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
downwind leg
Recruit

Post by downwind leg »

Hey Max 52. Thanks for all the research so far. My plane weighs 38 lbs. and probably just has sleeve bearings but they roll really well. No way to know how the hitch will work 'til I try it but if you can make a stronger one that is functional, that would be awesome. It might even need some bracing from behind the bumper for reinforcing but "I've already told you more than I know" LOL As to the batteries, we use the lipos all the time in our planes and try not to go below 3.7. I have lipos that have lasted for as many as 10 years with a little TLC.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Is the P-38 electric? I've been kickin' an idea around for a remote operated release mechanism for the tow unit. Maybe something with a dolly, kind of like a caisson, then a fork-like set-up that pinches the front wheel for towing, but can be remotely opened so the jeep can pull away and the plane can take off. That should wow them mouth breathers, eh? Bwahahaha @)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

And here's a little more video in case anyone's interested. I have several others posted at RCU but this item has received such good coverage here already i didn't want to seem like I was beatin' a dead horse. Of course, if anyone wants me to post the rest of the videos here I will, but you'll have to speak up.

phpBB [video]

Return to “General Discussion”