1/6 ROC Hobby Willys MB 1941

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
jarndice
Colonel

Re: 1/6 ROC Hobby Willys MB 1941

Post by jarndice »

Historically The Soviet Union ignored Patent Law and just stole what they wanted BUT there was one outstanding exception,
The T34 adopted the American invention "The Christie Suspension System" They took out a licence from Christie's and every Tank manufactured by the Soviet Union that used that system was built within the conditions of that license and paid for using very scarce hard currency.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Max-U52 wrote:For decades now, companies in China have been stealing intellectual properties from all over the world and then producing it as their own and as far as I know, no one has been able to successfully sue them yet.
PRC were forced to update their intellectual property laws a few years ago, so there is some 'nominal' protection to be had. GM successfully sued Chery when they found them making their own version of the Chevy Spark that they were otherwise building as a joint venture.

Of course, they don't need to sue them in China. They can simply sue in the US and Europe, and get a court order requiring the customs authorities to be on the lookout for and confiscate any infringing goods that they find at the ports of entry. This will deny them a good chunk of the market, even if they can fend off a lawsuit in China. Companies like Apple successfully do this all the time to keep out offbrand aftermarket/grey import parts for their products.
Xiaoshan_Sailor
Sergeant

Post by Xiaoshan_Sailor »

Folks, don't really see the need to debate PRC, IP, etc.. assuming FMS got a cease & desist letter from Fiat-Chrysler over failure to obtain the needed licensing, its quite simple to resolve since I've both seen & been involved first hand on handling such issues. All it takes is negotiating the fee. As in all these cases, the only people who win are the lawyers &, most certainly, the plaintiff who owns the copyright, trademark &/or patents. This could be well a simple issue of trade dress that FMS never fully considered.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Now banggood says the set of tires I ordered are out of stock, but they should ship in about two weeks. I doubt they ever had them in the first place, and I'd be willing to bet they don't show up in two weeks, but more excuses will appear.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Okay, there's a place called Firefox toys that still has these Jeeps for sale, they say they only have about 50 of them, and they want $400 each. If anyone wants one, and is willing to pay that outrageous price, I will post a link, but I don't think I would be willing to pay an extra $100, even if I didn't already have one. It's up to you guys, if anyone wants to see the link just holler and I'll post it when I get home from work.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Now banggood says they've shipped my tires, the expected delivery date is August 13th. I have this feeling they're lying, they never had or shipped the tires, they're just trying to get around any deadlines for filing a claim. Or they're hoping to get stock in time to ship them here before August. I can't prove any of that, but I suspect. Some places get your money and will go to huge lengths to avoid having to issue a refund. Looks like I've been banged good, yet again. Tell me again why we keep buying from these scoundrels? You would think I would've learned by now, eh? :wtf:
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

A chap on Facebook has got a roc and a dragon side by side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
panzerschreck
Lance Corporal

Post by panzerschreck »

What O chaps :wave:

My jeep has arrived, and has been christened "Jane".

The radio set is now installed on rear left hand side along with my Dragon GI driver figure who fits in nice up front; the parts to make my own mount for the water cooled M1919 .30 cal are on the way from Ebay, plus two wooden weapon crates from Amazon 8|

Have run a few times and am more than happy with off road performance, more than I need for any Cornish rally field :thumbup:

The lights are plenty bright enough o- o- and the yellow tint looks very authentic.

It also tows (over uneven grass) my GI Joe 155 ml howitzer great, at a sensible speed, without pooping the tow hitch open.

To say I am impressed would be a gross understatement :clap: :clap:

Personally, I wont be changing a damn thing on Jane....

"Woof! Woof! - that`s my other dog impression..."
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

I finally received mine as well. For several years, I have wanted to build a Rat Patrol jeep as seen on the television series, (which I absolutely loved when I was a kid). Having slowly gone through each of the 67 episodes, I noted that the jeeps and equipment changed a lot between the first 17 episodes of Season 1, (filmed in Spain), and the remainder of the series, (filmed in the US with different jeeps and equipment). I decided on the setup shown in the first half of Season 2, which is an aircraft M2 machine gun; four fuel & water cans behind the driver; a BC-620 radio behind the passenger seat, and a covered windshield and rolled-up tarp above the dash on the hood.
Mostly what I've accomplished so far is to strip it of all tools, (not mounted in the series); Modify a stock M2 with an aircraft barrel; and chop the windshield down by 1/2". I also replaced the rear coil shocks with a set of 70mm coil shocks. I removed the stock shock mount, and mounted the top of these straight to the frame. That allowed me to chop out the "crate" in the bed.
The problem I'm finding is that I want to use Dragon US fuel and water cans, but they don't fit the bracket on the rear. They also don't fit the bracket from a Hasbro GI Joe jeep, nor do they fit the bracket on the 21st Century M3 scout car (that's all I have to compare with). I may be forced to try and scratchbuild the rear bracket, unless anyone knows of one that works with Dragon cans.
Another question: the jeep comes with a Deans-type connector for the battery, and says it's set up for 2 lipos. All I have EVER used for RC are the 7.2 volt nicads, (and I would like to continue to use that for this jeep by changing the connector. It's a logistics thing - I don't want to change the connectors on every other thing I own to Dean's, just to match this). Thank you for any help. -Mike
panzerschreck
Lance Corporal

Post by panzerschreck »

Hi Mike!

Personally I think the fuel can supplied with the jeep looks fine, so mines staying.

As I say, the only mods I have planned are those I have listed.

Jane is running like a dream on 2 cell lipos, the 4500 seems to be a good choice. Could you not just get a deans adapter? I assume your nicads are the Tamiya connector type? These are two a penny on Ebay and Amazon last time I checked.

Otherwise, good luck and happy hunting with your build.

"Woof! Woof! - that`s my other dog impression..."

Return to “General Discussion”