Things that make you go Hmmm #1

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Wildboar44
Corporal

Things that make you go Hmmm #1

Post by Wildboar44 »

I noticed this whilst browsing for something else recently. Mid-production Tiger 1 with Zimmerit in a squared block pattern … any one know the history behind this or any other versions ?

Square pattern Zimmerit
Square pattern Zimmerit
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Things that make you go Hmmm #1

Post by Tiger6 »

As described in this article (I've read this elsewhere, but can't remember where - Roddy MacDougall's book on the Panther possibly?) https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/articles ... erman-use/ the initial layer of Zimmerit was applied, cut into squares and left to harden prior to the rougher top layer being applied. Most likely explanation for the photo is this was a Tank half way thru its application when photographed.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Appears that the Mid production Tiger has the early version light pair instead of the center mounted Bosch headlamp?
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Tiger6 wrote: Most likely explanation for the photo is this was a Tank half way thru its application when photographed.
Now that is an interesting theory Mr Tiger and very plausible, that might well by why. Thank you for the link :thumbup:
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

c.rainford73 wrote:Appears that the Mid production Tiger has the early version light pair instead of the center mounted Bosch headlamp?
Hi there Mr Rainford, I cant recall who but one or more units in either Russia or Italy preferred two lights. Some one here may know who. I notice that they may appear raised on brackets or its just a shadow?.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

If you are really interested, you could sign up over at the Tiger Im Focus forum (they used to be open to all, but I guess they got fed up of people linking to or downloading content from the site, either that or copywrite issues forced them behind closed doors). They mainly focus on collecting and discussing photo's of Tigers in known units rather than odd photo's like the one above, but its probably the best archive of Tiger photo's on the net.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Tiger6 wrote:If you are really interested, you could sign up over at the Tiger Im Focus forum (they used to be open to all, but I guess they got fed up of people linking to or downloading content from the site, either that or copywrite issues forced them behind closed doors). They mainly focus on collecting and discussing photo's of Tigers in known units rather than odd photo's like the one above, but its probably the best archive of Tiger photo's on the net.
I see that our Tiger Boffin, David Byrden, is actually a moderator on that site. He'd probably have the answer to the 'twin lights' query in a parsec... :think: :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “General Discussion”