Builds

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!

Postby ronnie42 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:25 pm

Are the builds dying out , 6000+ members and not many start to finish builds. Miss the likes of Hotte and Edwin real model craftsmen .

ronnie42
Sergeant

Postby silversurfer1947 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:34 pm

Of the 6000+ members, you will probably find less than 100 or so regular posters. Of those, quite a few are newcomers. Others are quite happy to post and give advice but choose not to post their own builds. It is a shame, but it depends solely on the willingness of the forum members. I wish there were a way to magic up more build threads as I enjoy reading them.
silversurfer1947
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Von Mooflesaaa » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:35 pm

I have 2 builds on the go right now. Granted I'm newer and was not around for the aforementioned modelers. But the builds I'm seeing on here right now are mind blowing.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Postby Ad Lav » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:33 pm

I’ve finished most of my builds sadly, some new ones to follow but I’ve changed hobbies a little bit, hence the sale of a few.

More to follow when I progress enough to share photos.
Ad Lav
Lieutenant

Postby dgsselkirk » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:14 pm

I really hesitate to put anymore big builds on here because it is such a pain in the ass to upload the pictures and takes too long. If you look at my Panther build and KT there are well over a couple of hundred pics and having to resize and upload each individual picture cuts into my time building the damn things! I wish there was a way like most other sites to mass upload the pics. I do understand why they do it the way they do it but really makes it hard to post full builds...
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby ronnie42 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:27 pm

Had the same problem, just reset camera settings to a size below the 350 limit. Most time is taken adding a description to each photo. I try to keep it short as the pic is worth a thousand words. :D

ronnie42
Sergeant

Postby General Jumbo01 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:28 pm

I find that the loss of natural light during the winter months very limiting when it comes to model making. I know you can flood the work table in electric light but it's not the same. I also find the process of photographing every cut, splash of paint etc spoils the pleasure of getting on with the job and interfferes with the flow of creative juices, same with posting every step. That's why my extensive review of the Torro unpainted King Tiger was all contained in one very long post.

When l wrote for Radio Race Car International my reviews had deadlines and were single articles so were not always that enjoyable to do but l got well paid and also got to keep the review items but, for me anyway, to really enjoy this hobby l have to work only when l'm feeling creative / inspired and once l get going can't be stopping to take photos. For example, frustrated by lack of progress on my reworking of a Leopard 2 l started working at 9pm and finished the base artwork and detailing at 2am. It's now ready for sealing and weathering but l was too tired to start that today!

My paused SU-100 build may get the full build write up but I'd like some late spring sunshine to help the process ;)
General Jumbo01

Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Postby ronnie42 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:41 pm

Have a look on Britmodler for lights they have a review in the tools section. Have 2 daylight ones . I am the opposite as cycling takes over when the weather improves. :haha:

ronnie42
Sergeant

Postby ronnie42 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:59 pm

My lights, they have light output and colour temp adjustment.
P1145736.JPG
P1145735.JPG

ronnie42
Sergeant

Postby dgsselkirk » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:13 pm

ronnie42 wrote:Had the same problem, just reset camera settings to a size below the 350 limit. Most time is taken adding a description to each photo. I try to keep it short as the pic is worth a thousand words. :D

But really, having to upload every single picture one at a time.... UGGGH! LOL!
dgsselkirk

Postby B_Man » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:26 pm

I personally don't post build threads because with work, kids and other interests, tank time is very limited and my builds generally take years until I'm happy to call them finished. I've been planning to put a few final weathering touches on my Jumbo for about 6 months now but haven't found the time to get to it. I still need to finish painting the bloody tank commander too so I might be 'finished' by christmas. I think I started it in late 2014 but I did do a Tamiya Panzer IV somewhere in between.

As others have said I also find uploading photos to this site to be a bit painful which doesn't motivate me to post them.
B_Man
Corporal

Postby ronnie42 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:27 pm

If everyone thought uploading pics was a pain this forum would have died years ago. :O

ronnie42
Sergeant

Postby B_Man » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:34 pm

ronnie42 wrote:If everyone thought uploading pics was a pain this forum would have died years ago. :O

Very true and I take my hat off to all those with more time and patience than me. I enjoy their work immensely.
B_Man
Corporal

Postby Exhibitedbrute » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:06 am

I’m quite new but it’s the same for me. It has taken me a year to build an su-85 from a resin kit. I bought an is3 at the same time which haven’t even been started yet.

I have however managed to take photos of a crusader I bought. Some when I got it. Some after alterations and re-paint of base colour and when finished there will be some of the cammo.

That being said I won’t open a thread until it’s completely Finnishes. Cosmetically at least. Still a lot to do on the inside

Exhibitedbrute
Sergeant

Postby Sub » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:16 am

Hi.
I have noticed that When you do take the time and effort to build and resize the pics and load them up not many people comment on them, plenty look, but very few ask questions or comment on your work which i think makes people think why bother to take the time to do it all, might as well spend the time building and then take a pic of it finished.
It is a real shame as you can learn so much just by asking how someone did some thing and enhance your own skills.
Its as if people are afraid to ask or get put off some how.
Ie one post over 1900 views and only 8 comments for example.
Just my observation.
Sub.

Sub
Corporal

Postby ronnie42 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:18 am

Much easier to do bite sizes , everything on at completion would put me off. Another way of looking at builds is if you hit a problem advice is alway on hand. Looking at builds is ok , what about a like button no need to comment :D
Last edited by ronnie42 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ronnie42
Sergeant

Postby Von Mooflesaaa » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:18 am

That sir is a very good point. If I view a thread I always try and leave a comment if applicable. Even if it's just showing gratitude to the builder for their work.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Postby PainlessWolf » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:21 am

Good afternoon!
Lots of stuff to do this year, build-wise and then years more stored in the Tank Room. I'm going to try to do my first double-header this Spring and upgrade the Panther 'G' while I do a build on the Jagdpanther. That should be fun. More and ongoing work with the Stuart then who knows what I will work on come the Winter again. The KR-11 truck just needs a couple of bits to show up in the mail to aid with the lights and electronics and it is mostly done then barring some small, added details. The towed gun for it is just a build kit and will be pure fun to paint and weather. I'll keep taking pics and be better about doing more daily posts like I used to.
Attachments
Big Cat in the sun.JPG
Panther for an upgrade
Time for a truckload of Tamiya, Schumo and Aber goodness..jpg
Time for a truckload of Tamiya, Schumo and Aber goodness..jpg
Finally...Tracks.jpg
Stuart running gear and tracks need more work
WIP on the front end.jpg
Truck is moving along
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Kaczor » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:25 am

Sub wrote:Hi.
I have noticed that When you do take the time and effort to build and resize the pics and load them up not many people comment on them, plenty look, but very few ask questions or comment on your work which i think makes people think why bother to take the time to do it all, might as well spend the time building and then take a pic of it finished.

That's why people put build pictures on Facebook groups, at least they receive "likes" ;) And it's much easier as FB resize picture for you.
Kaczor
Lance Corporal

Postby tankme » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:11 am

The picture thing is an issue for me as well. I haven't put my pics on a hosting site again after the Photobucket debacle. I have a lot of tanks that I work on since I get bored easily working on the same one all the time.

tankme
Lance Corporal

Next

Return to General Discussion