Tankriders

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!

Postby Rob'59 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:35 pm

2 of my tanks with some tank riders

The Tiger 1, Befehlswagen III, somewhere in the Ukraine:

Image

Image

Image

The Panther G with some Fallschirmjaeger:

Image

Image

Imagewebsite hosting image
User avatar
Rob'59
Corporal
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:14 pm
Location: Netherlands

Postby Jimster » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:58 pm

Those are great photos. You sure do a nice job of painting realistically.

Jimster
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 787
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:51 am
Location: Illinois

Postby Von Mooflesaaa » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:16 pm

Wow those look great.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
User avatar
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:28 pm
Location: Boise ID

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:49 pm

:D Nicely composed setup, as usual. :thumbup:
Apart from the Ukraine, this setting could also be the 'Land that Time Forgot"; with those gigantic Holly (Hulst) leaves :thumbup:
User avatar
43rdRecceReg
Captain
 
Posts: 4561
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am
Location: North West Highlands, Scotland

Postby Wildboar44 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:23 pm

Mighty impressive I must say, your skill set is a benchmark Sir. :thumbup:
User avatar
Wildboar44
Corporal
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:28 pm
Location: Kent England UK.

Postby Rob'59 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:44 am

Thank you guys.
It is of great fun to me, painting those little fellows.
I had to repaint the paratroopers on the Panther, the camo which is on them now, looks much much more realistic than the camo I painted on them in the first place.
But with taking outdoor pics, it seems like they do come a little bit more into life, making it all look a bit more real.
At least, that is what I am trying to do.
Because we didn't have some snow yet overhere, I had to use some flour to create some snow on the green in the garden.
I first positioned the Tiger, next I put the Ostfront soldiers on. After that I sprayed the flour over the green, avoiding coming flour on the Tiger.
I should have done it the other way around, starting with the flour. But because it was quite humid outside, I had no clue how the flour would react, would have been a pitty if it had turned into wet chunks of white shit. So I did go for the safer option, positioning everything in the correct way, next spray the flour and at last shoot the pics. Now I know how to do it next time.
About those big leaves....yes my mistake. I tried to avoid them in the pics, but sometimes it is just not possible.
I was focused too much on getting the soldiers sharp in the pics that I forgot about the big leaves.
But the overall look is not that bad I think.
User avatar
Rob'59
Corporal
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:14 pm
Location: Netherlands

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:20 am

Hey Rob, great job. How do you fit the soldiers? I drilled them and fit a neidimium magnet inside, and also glued a magnet in the inside part of the tank, so the tank riders go with me everywhere. Beware of the magnet´s polarity!

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 1600
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:22 am
Location: Spanish living in Graz, Austria. Heart in UK.

Postby Exhibitedbrute » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:42 am

I must get some tank riders for my t34s. Especially my winter one

Exhibitedbrute
Corporal
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:27 am

Postby Rob'59 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:06 pm

Good morning Rad.
Yep, that was my idea too, using those little round magnets.
I also used those to disconnect the filter hoses on my Tiger I, Early version when i need to take the upper hull off.
But as I have several tanks to which I can add my tankriders, I am not sure yet about the magnets.
Right now they are not fitted, just sitting on the tanks.
Maybe I will just put them on while taking pics? Commanders and gunners will stay in, also during riding outdoors.
Rob
User avatar
Rob'59
Corporal
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:14 pm
Location: Netherlands

Postby Rob'59 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:10 pm

Exhibitedbrute wrote:I must get some tank riders for my t34s. Especially my winter one


Haven't seen much Russian tank riders yet.
There aint many Russian figures in 1:16 at all, as I am correct.
Some German webshops sell some painted sitting Russian tankriders thow.
Check Licmas Heng Long Tank panzer
User avatar
Rob'59
Corporal
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:14 pm
Location: Netherlands

Postby jarndice » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:38 pm

Hi, I am still experimenting with a decent working method of removing the Tiger 1 Body from the Hull that does not include rebuilding the Tank afterwards :lolno:
My latest method had me unscrewing the feifal air cleaners from the back panel and screwing a countersunk neodymium magnet into the back of each of the feifal air cleaners and another into the inside of the rear plate opposite the air cleaner keeping the connection from the air cleaner to the hull mounted tubes all of a piece.
Now when I unlock the hull from the body I lift the body including the WHOLE feifal air cleaner system off at the same time.
It works but I am still looking for a better system.
What I have found is that using magnets to hold the flexible pipes to the tubes often means that when crossing rough ground the connection to the pipes fails meaning a disconnect hence the constant experiments to avoid the sight of the flexible air cleaner pipes suddenly sticking in the air. :haha:
User avatar
jarndice
Major
 
Posts: 5928
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:27 am
Location: the mountains of hertfordshire

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:12 pm

jarndice wrote:Hi, I am still experimenting with a decent working method of removing the Tiger 1 Body from the Hull that does not include rebuilding the Tank afterwards :lolno:
My latest method had me unscrewing the feifal air cleaners from the back panel and screwing a countersunk neodymium magnet into the back of each of the feifal air cleaners and another into the inside of the rear plate opposite the air cleaner keeping the connection from the air cleaner to the hull mounted tubes all of a piece.
Now when I unlock the hull from the body I lift the body including the WHOLE feifal air cleaner system off at the same time.
It works but I am still looking for a better system.
What I have found is that using magnets to hold the flexible pipes to the tubes often means that when crossing rough ground the connection to the pipes fails meaning a disconnect hence the constant experiments to avoid the sight of the flexible air cleaner pipes suddenly sticking in the air. :haha:


It's 'FEIFEL air cleaner, Shaun, not 'Feifal'. Just to be accurate. :D As for release mechanisms, I'm wondering whether the 'Clam-shell' lever system developed for opening the Taigen IS-2 metal edn., might be the ultimate solution. :| Daryll Turner was behind the development, on RCU- and it's quite a bold, if deceptively simple, piece of engineering.

Congrats again to you, Rob, on some nicely presented seasonal eye-candy. :thumbup: :clap:
Finding absolute scale compatibility in a garden setting is extremely difficult. :problem:

Congrats to you too, Rad, on the beautifully kitted out Panzer IV and the Winter-clad troops. Love the backdrop in the final pic- it's outstanding :thumbup:
A word of warning with a liberal supply of neodymium magnets: keep 'em away from your digital watch, and other delicate electronics :problem: Also, make sure they can't fall off, and be picked up by toddlers.
They can kill kids (if swallowed) :think:
User avatar
43rdRecceReg
Captain
 
Posts: 4561
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am
Location: North West Highlands, Scotland

Postby Rob'59 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:25 pm

Shaun, check the Licmas Heng Long Panzer website in Germany.
I got those 4 magnets for the Feiffel filters/hoses from him, and I must say they are pretty strong!
User avatar
Rob'59
Corporal
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:14 pm
Location: Netherlands

Postby Rob'59 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:33 pm

@ Rad...I need a Panzer IV too.......
Beautiful one you have created!
I have some more figures which are made for that tank, like the driver and radio operator and the same commander you have.
Most Eastfront tankriders on my Tiger, actually were made for the Pnzr IV.
But at first I have a Taigen Jagdpanther (metal edition) and one Heng Long StuG (plastic one) to get done.
Lack of time....space.....and money of course.....
Same story everywhere I am afraid.
One day I will get my Pnzr IV......
User avatar
Rob'59
Corporal
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:14 pm
Location: Netherlands

Postby Max-U52 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:16 pm

43rdRecceReg wrote:
It's 'FEIFEL air cleaner, Shaun, not 'Feifal'. Just to be accurate.


How dare you correct Shaun?!? Don't you know who he is? Bwahahahaha @) :/ :haha:

Rob, those figures look just excellent. Very, very impressive. I have an idea you might find interesting, put the magnets in the Riders and then you can put magnets under the deck of any tank you want. If you have the magnets in two or more tanks you can just switch the Riders from tank to tank.

It's really too bad we have all that water in between us, because I have an IR P4 winter Edition, brand new in the box, that I could let you have for $325. That's what, about two hundred and fifty quid? We really need to do something about that freakin' ocean. 8O :crazy: :think:
User avatar
Max-U52
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 3584
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:56 pm
Location: Detroit

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:05 pm

Max-U52 wrote:
Rob, those figures look just excellent. Very, very impressive. I have an idea you might find interesting, put the magnets in the Riders and then you can put magnets under the deck of any tank you want. If you have the magnets in two or more tanks you can just switch the Riders from tank to tank.
k:


Thats what I wrote 4 posts above your lines, lol.
User avatar
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 1600
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:22 am
Location: Spanish living in Graz, Austria. Heart in UK.

Postby Max-U52 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:37 pm

Rad_Schuhart wrote:
Max-U52 wrote:
Rob, those figures look just excellent. Very, very impressive. I have an idea you might find interesting, put the magnets in the Riders and then you can put magnets under the deck of any tank you want. If you have the magnets in two or more tanks you can just switch the Riders from tank to tank.
k:


Thats what I wrote 4 posts above your lines, lol.


Not exactly. You said you put magnets inside the tank, I'm saying put magnets in more than one tank and all you have to do is pull them off one tank and stick them to the next tank.
User avatar
Max-U52
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 3584
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:56 pm
Location: Detroit

Postby Exhibitedbrute » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:00 am

Rob'59 wrote:
Exhibitedbrute wrote:I must get some tank riders for my t34s. Especially my winter one


Haven't seen much Russian tank riders yet.
There aint many Russian figures in 1:16 at all, as I am correct.
Some German webshops sell some painted sitting Russian tankriders thow.
Check Licmas Heng Long Tank panzer


Not in the way of factory made. Typically it’s just commanders. But there is someone I watch on eBay that does a large amount of figures. Looks to be resin and almost all German or Russian

Exhibitedbrute
Corporal
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:27 am

Postby silversurfer1947 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:06 pm

Do you have a link to the ebay figure man, please?
User avatar
silversurfer1947
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2940
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:54 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby Max-U52 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:01 pm

You have to be careful with resin figures on eBay, depending on your personal code of ethics. A lot of those figures that you see, especially if they say without the Box, have been ripped off from the artist that designed them and the original artist will not be receiving any of the money. I tried to avoid buying pieces like that.
User avatar
Max-U52
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 3584
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:56 pm
Location: Detroit

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests