Batteries & chargers

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Gas hog
Recruit

Batteries & chargers

Post by Gas hog »

So i have returned my Torro Tiger 1 and have just received my HL Pro edition early Tiger 1today. Can anyone recommend a good battery and charger set up please. I have already ordered a metal hull and 5-1 gearbox set up an a few metal detail parts from Forgebear :D , the tank has a BB firing turret with recoil. I like the gun recoil but not the BB system, i would like to change it to a more realistic metal barrel and recoil, any suggestions please.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Batteries & chargers

Post by Max-U52 »

The tiger is a pretty heavy tank, and I think you're going to have problems with the 5:1 gearboxes. I put a set of those in a King Tiger and it cooked the mfu. You should really be running the 4:1s.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Never knew that. Thanks for the heads up Max.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
Gas hog
Recruit

Post by Gas hog »

Max-U52 wrote:The tiger is a pretty heavy tank, and I think you're going to have problems with the 5:1 gearboxes. I put a set of those in a King Tiger and it cooked the mfu. You should really be running the 4:1s.

I thought a 5=1 would be lower geared and less stressful to the motors!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Gas hog wrote:
Max-U52 wrote:The tiger is a pretty heavy tank, and I think you're going to have problems with the 5:1 gearboxes. I put a set of those in a King Tiger and it cooked the mfu. You should really be running the 4:1s.

I thought a 5=1 would be lower geared and less stressful to the motors!
In theory, though, that ought to be the case. :problem:
edit: there's a useful discussion here on ratios. You''ll also find links elsewhere, if you use the 'Search' option. :thumbup:
viewtopic.php?f=195&t=24766&hilit=gearbox+ratios
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Remember, the gearbox names misleadingly do not refer to their final ratios. Why retailers do not publish the true ratios is beyond me.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Gas hog
Recruit

Post by Gas hog »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Remember, the gearbox names misleadingly do not refer to their final ratios. Why retailers do not publish the true ratios is beyond me.
So can get/fit motors with a geared output in place of the stock motors?
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

They all have a geared output but it's useful to know what the gearing is. I doubt that you'll cook the electrics if used sensibly BUT if you use on grass or long pile carpet and then perform sharp turns, due to the high degree drag you may cook motors and / or mfu.

I doubt Forgebear would have sold you a gearbox and metal hull if it were not suitable.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

True. I installed 5:1s in a HL Tiger1 and it was okay but I like my Taigen 4:1 V2 ball bearing gearbox much better. Smoother and more torque.
Not sure where you live but Taigen USA, https://www.taigentanks.com/taigen-parts/vbat in Florida has great batteries and a good inexpensive safe charger. I prefer the 5000 mAh batteries.
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

General Jumbo01 wrote:They all have a geared output but it's useful to know what the gearing is. I doubt that you'll cook the electrics if used sensibly BUT if you use on grass or long pile carpet and then perform sharp turns, due to the high degree drag you may cook motors and / or mfu.
All depends on the current draws at stall loads.
Jam up a track and you can burn up nearly any motor/MFU.

Return to “General Discussion”