Ripsaw full electric tank

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
jackalope
Lieutenant

Ripsaw full electric tank

Post by jackalope »

Not sure if you guys have seen this but it's pretty cool, not sure if the gun fires or not but judging from it's size it's got to be an R/C drone tank.

https://youtu.be/8NX7btiWLa0
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Ripsaw full electric tank

Post by midlife306 »

Looks amazing, but the bit where it’s spinning but the turret is stationary doesn’t half look like CGI..
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SteelBird
Corporal

Post by SteelBird »

The headlights of this monster look like an angry crab
H/L Pantiger, H/L Leopard 2A6, Mato Panzer III, Hybrid Tiger 1 and some tank wreckage
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Any idea what made them build it and what it is for? Far too small and lightweight for a battle tank and what's its range? As a fun project it's quite an achievement but without a purpose enthusiasm may wain rather quickly. Could be useful for parking customers caravans on a muddy field. Nice bit of engineering though.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

I’m guessing it’s a proof of concept, the military love to spend money....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

It will have a very low infra red signature, if it has no engine no heat,would make a good reconnaissance vehicle.

regards pete
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Better than a much cheaper flying drone? Things are moving on very quickly. Who, for example, would be dumb enough to build and aircraft carrier these days?? :{
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Everyone can see that drone in the sky and shoot it down, a tank sitting dormant in a treeline not so much...
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Found another video of it. These guys aren't military they build those Ripsaw tanks to sell to the general public. Of course those are manned come with bad ass V8's making over 1000hp!

This is their first combat tank that I know of, outside of the G.I.JOE movies that is.

As to what it'd be good for I'd say fast assault and close combat support for ground troops where an aerial drone wouldn't work.

https://youtu.be/JuOE7d7uYyk
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

I think its a 'thought starter' for the Military, rather than a finished product. It does answer the age old question of how small can you make a tank if you don't need a crew.

More info Here:
https://www.army-technology.com/project ... hicle-rcv/

My immediate thought is that its going to suffer from the same issue the Abrams has - namely its a space frame with bolt on armour, great when you want to replace a single plate that got penetrated, but when you hit a mine that's all going to twist out of shape and good luck repairing it.

Curious to see what the engines are, a 1000hp diesel is not a small lump, especially when coupled with a suitable AC generator, and they also talk about batteries which are also not small items when you consider the power draw of the onboard systems.

Absolutely no idea where they are getting a 1500hp gasoline motor from in 2019...!? The Allison V1710, running jungle juice, doesn't make anywhere near that kind of power for any sustainable length of time, and they have been out of production for quite a while... Military Grade Gasoline is nowhere close to regular Pump petrol, typically 80 vs 87 (for our US viewers, EU RON numbers are calculated slightly differently) so there's no viable route to a modern Turbocharged Direct Injected design that would be practical in service.

Return to “General Discussion”