Battle of the Bulge

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Battle of the Bulge

Post by BarryC »

Amen
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

There was a period when the unit I was attached to was assigned the area around the Belgium/Luxemburg/ Dutch/German borders that embraced the Eifel/Ardennes Forest as our backstop should the Soviets have gotten pushy,
Anyone familiar with the area would not have been surprised that the German Armed Forces used that place twice to attack the Western Allied Armed Forces because the roads are plentiful and the cover from the Forest canopy shelters those roads from air reconnaissance,
It speaks ill of Allied Intelligence for not realising after the Germans outflanked the British and French Army's in 1940 by attacking them through the Eifel that such a place was very likely to be used again.
We would knife our way through the Belgium and Dutch military units who were defending their borders on exercise every winter following the same route that the German army did all those years before and our pretend enemies were expecting us !!!
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

That is so cool, jarndice! I would love to go relic hunting there.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If you do get to the Eifel searching for relics don't take a metal detector because most of the mature trees have some shrapnel in them and you would probably go deaf with the alarm in your detector going off non stop :lolno: ,
The dragons teeth are still to be found in great numbers and the bunkers although they were made inoperable still exist as very large concrete lumps,
The first time we drove to the exercise area we passed through the town of Duren and the blocks of flats (Apartments) either side of the road were pockmarked with bullet holes,
Ten years later on my way to the Nurburgring I passed through Duren again and instead of the flats "Ford" had built a car assembly plant :thumbup:
A lot of people either don't know or prefer to forget that "Ford" was building cars and trucks in Germany throughout Mr Hitler's tenure of the Reichstag before and during WW2 and they still are just as General Motors Opel Badged cars and trucks were until they sold out their European operations a few years ago.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Interesting. I’ve read that Henry Ford wasn’t exactly anti-Germany.
I wonder if anyone has been killed or injured running up on any left over unexploded ordinance in that area?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Bug*er !!! You just struck my detonator. :lolno:
"Ordinance" "Oxford English Dictionary (OED) Authoritative Direction, Decree, Statute".
"Ordnance" "OED, Mounted Guns, Cannon, Military Stores".
It is a pair of words that far too many people get the wrong way round and it makes my teeth tingle.
Forgive me my very good friend its just an old man having a moan. :crazy:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

:{ I blame iPhone’s auto spell. Or is it Otto Schpelle?

Return to “General Discussion”