How do we know the colours are correct

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

How do we know the colours are correct

Post by ronnie42 »

Two pics colour and b&w, think the green and brown are nearly right but the yellow?
front and rear skirt brown and green ok , more light on middle skirts
front and rear skirt brown and green ok , more light on middle skirts
Buff might have been wrong choice for tone down.
Buff might have been wrong choice for tone down.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: How do we know the colours are correct

Post by HERMAN BIX »

To bring down out of the pot Tamiya German Dark Yellow, I use Deck Tan.
But in all honesty, there is no "right" German Dark Yellow in our scale.
Your Panther looks very good................its yours, you built and painted it, and you are to be proud of it.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Also you have to remember that they used such opposing colours to break up the lines of the vehicle they were trying to blend in to the surroundings.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Some years back we had a discussion on the Forum about the difference between the Prototypes colours versus the perceived different shade of the same colour on 1/16 Tanks.
I think it was that master of detailing Tom Hugill who pointed out that size has a direct correlation when using the same colour on a full size Tank and a scale one. In other words if it looks right on Bovingtons 131 that identical colour on your Panther will look wrong.
The problem with German Armour of the WW2 period is that apart from "Signal" Magazine and Herr Goebbels propaganda newsreels the use of colour film was very rare so that accurate colour photographs of German Armour are hard to find, most of what we see these days has been "Colourised"and until recently the original colour paint chips were nowhere to be found,
The recent discovery of period paint chips by the staff of the "Tank Museum" puts the "RAL" paint system into some kind of order,
Hopefully one of the model paint makers will produce revised colours based on the true RAL system but with the scale effect taken into account.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Not forgetting the effects of weather and variations during production. We don't always make two batches of paint the same colour now!
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Smaller the model, lighter shade should be used. If you put colors "straight from the can" model will be too dark.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Museum repaints can be notoriously wrong too. Same goes for 1940s colour film. The first response was probably the most correct - it's you tank so if you like it it's right!
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

The camera was on the wrong setting. Then i wondered why on lots of WW2 b&w photos of tanks the camo was hard to see almost tones of mid grey. Did they add old engine oil to the yellow paint or are most photos well and truly faded.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

German Tanks in the field were painted by their crews using paint bricks stored in the Tank for application using Brooms and rags, And of course the Bucket was used for that job as well :D
The paint blocks were broken up and watered down or the rags were soaked in Petrol and the paint was applied that way,
Expecting a showroom paint job is expecting a bit too much considering how the job was done.
Some crews did have access to a spray gun but it was not an issue item.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:Some years back we had a discussion on the Forum about the difference between the Prototypes colours versus the perceived different shade of the same colour on 1/16 Tanks.
I think it was that master of detailing Tom Hugill who pointed out that size has a direct correlation when using the same colour on a full size Tank and a scale one. In other words if it looks right on Bovingtons 131 that identical colour on your Panther will look wrong.
The problem with German Armour of the WW2 period is that apart from "Signal" Magazine and Herr Goebbels propaganda newsreels the use of colour film was very rare so that accurate colour photographs of German Armour are hard to find, most of what we see these days has been "Colourised"and until recently the original colour paint chips were nowhere to be found,
The recent discovery of period paint chips by the staff of the "Tank Museum" puts the "RAL" paint system into some kind of order,
Hopefully one of the model paint makers will produce revised colours based on the true RAL system but with the scale effect taken into account.
Yes, Shaun, I recall that discussion- and that peculiar phenomenon of a paint (Olive Drab SCC15, for example), looking right on the Bovington tank- and the paint chart; but apparently mismatched on the 1/16 model :eh:
This is what I found with the Cromwell mismatch.

Edit: though it's not Tom's colour theory, this little thread has some useful tips in it. :thumbup:
viewtopic.php?f=151&t=22865&p=209308&hi ... h…#p209308
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “General Discussion”